VR for dental CAD Design

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Its likely that anyone here thats into video games has already come across this, but if not then Virtual Reality is about to come back with a bang.

Oculus VR | Oculus Rift - The Virtual Reality Gaming Headset

Ive had one of these development kits on order for a while and was expecting it this month although they've been delayed a bit now and after shipping i probably wont get it until nearer June.

Other than games, im thinking about the potential this is gonna have for CAD design and obviously dental CAD in particular.

Without a doubt, one of the biggest problems we currently have with doing our work in CAD is the inability to visualize our designs in proper 3D, which is desperately needed to judge form, space and volume.

Apart from the neat low latency head tracking and a massive field of view this thing has, it has true stereoscopic 3D focused at infinity with a separate image for each eye (2 images split across 1 LCD screen),like we see in real life. So no crosstalk or headache inducing crap like the conventional glasses 3d.

The devkit is only low res at 640x800 per eye (1280x800 panel) so not really good enough for cad design, but the consumer version is set for 1080p (960x1080 per eye) or maybe higher, all for < $1000, probably < $500. Every review ive seen so far is heaping praise so thanks to mobile phone tech, this thing will be relatively cheap and actually works, unlike the crappy VR stuff from the early 90's.

This is some thing to keep an eye on as its gonna be great for the kinda cad design were doing (people are already working on drivers to make desktop etc compatible).

or maybe your just a gadget/gaming junkie in which case its gonna be awesome as well. Ill post more once i have me dev kit :)

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
Oh and another thing thats about to release is this:

https://www.leapmotion.com/

It can track all 10 fingers to something crazy like 0.2mm within a 2m square area, so imagine using your actual wax knife to carve the stuff on screen along with a VR unit.

dev kits have already shipped and consumer version is not far off for around $70.

Not sure how good it would work for designing without any tactile feedback, but tech is getting really cool and really cheap :)

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
;)Awsome,you'll be able to be one with your inlab.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
No, im going to smash it to pieces with a virtual hammer, then fly to Germany in my virtual space ship and blow Sirona HQ to HELL!

[youtube]z3qu-sCei3U[/youtube]

Last edited:
Top Bottom