Vacuum Casting

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been casting in a centrifuge with a broken arm caster for many years. Recently moved to vacuum casting using the zubler easy cast. Love how dense the castings are, porosity free, BUT I am getting miscasts and its annoying! (it looks like how alloy appears when it is too cold, but after a few of these and some temp corrections, I am still noticing it.) I think its because vacuum is pulling from the outside of the ring so when they are too centered its fighting the vacuum and not allowing flow to the margins... I know the spruing needs to be done toward the outside wall so ideally looking for sprue wheels but I'm looking for recommendations from people who are actually casting in vacuum. Thanks in advance for your help!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been casting in a centrifuge with a broken arm caster for many years. Recently moved to vacuum casting using the zubler easy cast. Love how dense the castings are, porosity free, BUT I am getting miscasts and its annoying! (it looks like how alloy appears when it is too cold, but after a few of these and some temp corrections, I am still noticing it.) I think its because vacuum is pulling from the outside of the ring so when they are too centered its fighting the vacuum and not allowing flow to the margins... I know the spruing needs to be done toward the outside wall so ideally looking for sprue wheels but I'm looking for recommendations from people who are actually casting in vacuum. Thanks in advance for your help!
Follow the instructions it came with to the letter, then you'll be fine. I had an easy cast machine for like 15 years, loved it

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
I’m trying but it’s tricky! 😂 having so many miscasts. The pic in the manual and description shows 5mm or less from the top and side wall of castings. It does show a wheel sprue running the outside diameter of the ring. Is that what you used? Thanks!

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Also was told by my friend I bought the unit from and zubler to only use one of the vacuum access holes in the sprue firmer for increased flow. Does that sound familiar?