to screw or not to screw..? that is the question.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
I have contacted a few implant companies lately to find out some info on which screws are ok to use in the lab and which ones require a lab screw.

ALL of nobel biocare's screws that come with the implant are one time use only. lab screw required

Straaumann says with the synocta system you can hand tighten the Ti screws but they warn no to tighten them too much...

Ankylos recommends using a lab screw as their screws can chip. soo.. Lab screws recommended

we all know that gold screws are one time use only. I hope..

what other systems do you know of that allow you to use the same screw as the doc will use for the final insertion for lab work?

live and let learn..

D

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Ankylos recommends using a lab screw as their screws can chip. soo.. Lab screws recommended"

Funny, the abutment and screw for ankylos are 1 piece, so not sure whos's telling you to use a separate lab screw?

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Hey moron, ankylos screws are no removable!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Guys while Disturbed has his own special way of contributing we do not need to call each other names. We all from time to time say things in text in a manner we may not mean as harshly as it comes off. I know I am guilty of this from time to time as well. Lets try and keep this place civil.

Of course much of his information is incorrect he dose regurgitate correct information from time to time.

What he should understand is this moderator has been contacted by people he has worked for to discuss his "expertise" and his general character. He shouldn't think he has anonymity here.

I would recommend if you have an issue with him it may be better off to not reply or to correct him via PM.

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Why do I feel like I missed something- Hhhmmmmmm. This Is like the UFC without pay-per -view!!

J

JSnyder85

Reaction score
i never reccomend using a screw that has been used in lab for seating unless absoultely necessary. We always provide a second screw still packaged with our custom abutments unless its a system that requires a special final/gold screw. ex:3icertain,primaconnex, ect. Although, if we special order an abutment from an implant company we do not provide an extra screw unless the Dr. requests it. Some implant companys say that they will only guarentee there implant if all manufactor parts are used but this is just a way to make money by making you buy their parts only.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Astra, Biomet 3i, Camlog/Conelog, Keystone and Nobel have lab screws.
BioHorizon, BlueSkyBio, Implant Direct, Straumann and Zimmer don't have lab screws.
When using lab screws during the production process attach a note to the comment card to the Dr. informing him/her not to use the lab screw as a final screw but the pristine new screw and the appropriate torque value.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
lol.. anyhoo.. customer service at ankylos/densply told me that lab screws are recommended. I will call em' again and ask them what they ment..

I know I am not anonymous here. I actually have given my phone number to a few here and welcome their thoughts.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have an account that insists on providing me all of the pieces for his Biomet implant cases. I think in the past 6 years he has seated at least 5 abutments using the lab screw. Those things just don't stay tightened. Good times!

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I have an account that insists on providing me all of the pieces for his Biomet implant cases. I think in the past 6 years he has seated at least 5 abutments using the lab screw. Those things just don't stay tightened. Good times!

Bit of red locktite fixes everything .... IM
JOKING!!!! (for all the mark Jackson's and disturbed peoples)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
my dentists have to order their own screws. we don't ship out a case with a screw.

so if it is screwed, it is on their butts. not mine.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Bit of red locktite fixes everything .... IM
JOKING!!!! (for all the mark Jackson's and disturbed peoples)

Had to pull this one back up,

Dds calls today with a loose loose screw...
Asked us if he could retighten (a gold screw) and use locktite.
He was not joking either.

Boss's answer was classic understatment:
"Oh, where did you find locktite that was approved for intraoral use?"

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Why you gota call him a moron? A dingbat would have been better, its not so insulting.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Scews loose in the first 15-20 minutes 30-40 % of torque so take place in the waiting room and wait atfter that do it again and your problems are gone.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Scews loose in the first 15-20 minutes 30-40 % of torque so take place in the waiting room and wait atfter that do it again and your problems are gone.

Sounds plausible, do you have any links to papers showing this or is it just from personal experience........Happy to recommend it to surgeons if you can give me something that supports it, a 40% torque loss is massive! still trying to get my head around how the screw reacts, stretching etc and how it could result in the reduced torque.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

I really see where that can be possible, like settling of a house after/during constuction as it adapts to load differences. Do you know many offices doing this? I'm also wondering if this could lead to screw fractures sooner as they are designed to be tightened to full torque one time. I'm also courious if the manufacturer may be taking this into account and expecting long term torque to be only 30-40% of initial seating pressure? Hmm.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
It was an artikle i implant restoration magazin few year ago their is some information about screws in the neoss documetation an on side 71 in the camlog guide they wait 5 minutes

To achieve the maximum bolt preload should CONELOG ®
Abutmentsschrauben tightened after about 5 minutes with the same torque
are. This screw loosening are largely
out

http://www.neoss.de/documents/downl...staloc_Product_Sheet_DE_hi_res_2010-07-12.pdf about screws generally but in german
http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/diss/s...0000003555/0_Dissertation_W_Semper.pdf?hosts= about precision implant abutment but in german

if ill find the rest ill show you.

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
Would love to have that article in English. We see a lot of Neoss implants in our office. The oral surgeon uses them on a regular basis. Guess I'll be getting in touch with my rep! Plus, they look great anodized gold. The Crystaloc screw has more threads than the lab screw. The last two threads are the only ones that actually handle all the torque and hold the abutment in place.

Top Bottom