The Art of Baseplates

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
If you are charging $20 for a processed base and wax rim you need to rethink the market you are after. I am proud of you for wanting to do better quality work but you have to charge for the service or they will not value the extra effort.

We charge $145 for a processed base/bite rim.

Yep. I don't even make a VLC baseplate for $20.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Holly @#$% :) 145? I would get tared and feathered by everyone of my Dr's. I make this cheap and available base to encourage them to use this and take a reline imprssion inside after try-in to get better boarder contours and fit.

If they need to improve the fit that much that often by employing a wash, then I would stick to a less expensive fabrication method like vacuform or VLC.
The labor involved in flasking and processing a baseplate in denture resin is prohibitive to those who don't occupy a higher tier in market share.
Those that don't exercise the care to improve clinically beyond that will never see the value in spending the extra money.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Miss spoke--yes impression AFTER wax try-in to contours and patient final approval. Other wise, new impression will be compromised with furture try-in and abrassions from a baseplate. Thanks droberts for pointing this mistake out to me! While at it here? why do Dr's say: Post Dam and finish?" No post dam and a very loose fitting denture. I place a post seal and perephrial seal on all Max/mand dentures. As for finish-no sending it back directly from mold-YOU finish it!!!!

Postdam is placed at time of baseplate being fabricated. Some baseplates may lift in the posterior slightly. They are just reassuring that it will be tight at delivery. Just asking again, is the doctor taking the wash at the Bite rim appointment, or try-in? You want it at the bite rim, that way all your wax thickness, contours etc. is done at the try-in. If you are having problems with abrasion of baseplate, find a different material, or slighlty block out more of the undercut.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Am I the only one who still uses the swissedent (papillameter, almeter, rim former? or occlusion balancers? or the Homedicia setup plate?Im just wondering.
Several of us use them in school here in Etown....I have the papillameter, alameter, and bite rim former and think they are cats meow..also have Blue Dolphin vertimeter for measuring the VDO and VDR...fast, easy to use and simple....I like the occlusion control kit from Blue Dolphin....comes with a clear setup plate and a small jig which can be used to see the exact centre of the ridge crest.......Dan

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
oops

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I'll sell them a finished denture fo $129 and they can use it for a custom tray and set the bite with it. The patient can have it as a embarrassment denture when we finish. This takes all the rush out of a reline or repair.

I'm working on some marketing for some new lab accounts and this is an angle I had not thought of. This is a great forum.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
.comes with a clear setup plate and a small jig which can be used to see the exact centre of the ridge crest.......Dan
That is the copy of the 1969 Homedica set-up plate, clear with the triangle to mark the crest of the ridge on the plate. I make the clear plates from plastic window glass & low temp glue gun them for setting up. Instead of their sticky wax technique.

Top Bottom