Sports Mouth Guards

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Hello All:

I just wanted to share with you how fun this business really can be.

I and 2 valued employees have spent part of the last two weekends working with the Florida Panthers (professional hockey team) helping the team dentist take impressions and fabricate mouth guards. I am a bit of a hockey fan and it is really cool to work with the players and get to talk with them one on one, I am also surprised how nice all of them have been.

This experience has also reminded me there are opportunities out there that we overlook everyday. Before I hooked up with the team dentist they sent the work to Ohio...Ohio?? How many local labs could they have worked with but they didn't know any of us were here. If any of you are spots fans and make sports guards I suggest you reach out to your teams team dentist (all sports team has one) let them know you are there and willing. We will get great exposure as we are allowed to use the seal / logo for marketing.

"We are the Sports Guard Laboratory of the Florida Panthers"

How great of a marketing tool is it to be able to use that header?
We will see, I will keep you posted.....but even if we don't grow the sports guard business it is still a lot of fun!

Regards,
Don

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hello All:

I just wanted to share with you how fun this business really can be.

I and 2 valued employees have spent part of the last two weekends working with the Florida Panthers (professional hockey team) helping the team dentist take impressions and fabricate mouth guards. I am a bit of a hockey fan and it is really cool to work with the players and get to talk with them one on one, I am also surprised how nice all of them have been.

This experience has also reminded me there are opportunities out there that we overlook everyday. Before I hooked up with the team dentist they sent the work to Ohio...Ohio?? How many local labs could they have worked with but they didn't know any of us were here. If any of you are spots fans and make sports guards I suggest you reach out to your teams team dentist (all sports team has one) let them know you are there and willing. We will get great exposure as we are allowed to use the seal / logo for marketing.

"We are the Sports Guard Laboratory of the Florida Panthers"

How great of a marketing tool is it to be able to use that header?
We will see, I will keep you posted.....but even if we don't grow the sports guard business it is still a lot of fun!

Regards,
Don

Marketing is a funny thing, some say that anytime the name of your business is recognized because of a prior marketing effort it is a plus. I say that there are times we are wasting our resources...

I am not saying that this venture was a waste for you but are you charging for these guards? Are you charging for the time you spent on your days off that could have been spent with your family? Who do you think will benefit more from the exposure to this endeavor? You or the "Team dentist"? Do you believe this tag line will benefit the lab in any way? Have you calculated the cost of the guards/your time/paid employee time vs the potential future marketing of using this moniker? Perhaps I am just remembering a sour taaste in my mouth....

At one time my lab did 3 local high schools football teams guards for free for one of our clients. I even sprung for the custom colored material. As I can tell not one shred of recognition to my lab was ever made. The marketing efforts of the "Client" was of course tenfold. He had many new families visiting his office looking for a free guard. He now had a database of local families that he could potentially exploit for "his" benefit. He of course tried to bait the fact that if he benefited I would as well. What a crock! What I would love to do is take out an ad. in every school paper stating to the students and family that this good Dr. now chooses to send his work to the lowest priced lab he can find.

Ok personal rant off, just pointing out what didn't work out so well for me in a similar situation. Your milage may vary.

Last edited:
Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
John:

I completely understand everything you are saying and I know I my take a hit on my efforts. I am however looking for ways to grow my business that does not involve wire work. We are growing our digital models, our splints and now I will start marketing mouth guards as football and hockey seasons begin.

I think our relationship with the Panthers might only last this season as the sports guard business at the professional level will be taken over (IMHO) by big companies with huge marketing dollars.

Check out Bite Tech Helps Under Armour Introduce Jaw-Dropping Technology BITE TECH
These are sold through Patterson and the lab is a few cities South of me...big business!

I am a hockey fan and so far it has been a blast working with the players, I also get perks making me feel this was a good deal for me personally and for my business.

Regards,
Don

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Don,
Looking to expand in that area is most likeoy a great idea.
No freebies.
Just show the professional quality work, and the high quality appliance available from your lab. "Advertise" to all the teams you can find, directly and repeatdly. You'll get more clients for sure.
You know, make single guards of a teams colrs and logo, put them all in a brochure, your great at making those.
Mike.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I did mouthguards for the football team at the University of Nebraska (Go Big Red) in 1989. Nearly all the impressions came in with chewing tobacco in the buccal vestibules. We are looking at making football mouthguards for the local children's football teams. Mostly for interaction than profit.

L

labdude

Reaction score
"Mostly for interaction than profit."

BALSPHMEY!!!! (or how ever you spell it):):D

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John:

John's comments are in RED

I completely understand everything you are saying and I know I my take a hit on my efforts. I am however looking for ways to grow my business that does not involve wire work. We are growing our digital models, our splints and now I will start marketing mouth guards as football and hockey seasons begin.

Adding additional products to cross sell to you existing clients is always a smart move. Its actually the easiest way to actually increase sales.

I think our relationship with the Panthers might only last this season as the sports guard business at the professional level will be taken over (IMHO) by big companies with huge marketing dollars.

Check out Bite Tech Helps Under Armour Introduce Jaw-Dropping Technology BITE TECH
These are sold through Patterson and the lab is a few cities South of me...big business!

I took a look at the website and smiled. Where do you think the money is being made here? Do you think Patterson has made the sweet end of the deal or the lab fabricating them? Would UA actually partner with a lab or are they looking for a Multi multi million dollar company to give their marketing dollar to. Nice logo wear designer mouthpieces :)

I am a hockey fan and so far it has been a blast working with the players, I also get perks making me feel this was a good deal for me personally and for my business.

Perks are good, if your getting some swag fine. If your getting seats at the glass for a few games even better. Season tickets I am shutting my mouth about any compensation :) In any event seems you had a good time and have no illusions that this is going to make you rich,,,, or richer :)

Regards,
Don

John

Top Bottom