soft tissue carving..I'm pretty awful

A

AshBroughton

Reaction score
Just want to know if there are any methods people are willing to share about soft tissue carving, Photos of work done and the way you implement your tools would be helpful.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Depending on why we are contouring the soft tissue will determine the tool and technique.

I like to use a brassler fsq bur used for cutting soft reline materials. It cuts slowly and isn't too aggressive. I resist the temptation to use a #11 blade but I have been known to use this as well.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Just want to know if there are any methods people are willing to share about soft tissue carving, Photos of work done and the way you implement your tools would be helpful.

Stop with the strip and dip and move over to an electric waxer. After that it comes down to observation of what HEALTHY gingiva/ interdental papilli look like.
Remember that the gingival tissue acts to easily convey food to the food table,i.e., the occlusal surfaces, without allowing any to be trapped or collected. If you festoon or carve root eminences, then NO concavities. Convex surfaces.
Or course if you go with a technique like neutral zone and external impressions to shape the cameo, you will inevitably question the shapes that artistry dictates we carve for "realism".

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I guess I missunderstood which Soft tissue he was asking about :)