"Snap on Smile"

A

a3dl

Reaction score
We have had multiple docs asking us to fabricate a snap on smile tool for case presentation instead of just doing a diagnostic wax-up( the norm). We have done a few using a resin based material but they are so brittle that 2 have broken while being handled in dr office. Have any of yall been experiencing this demand from dr/patient? and if so what kind of material have you used to get a somewhat decent result...there has to be something out there that looks good and is not going to take forever to fabricate..ie must be economical and efficient. Please advise!!!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We have a series of smiles on sticks we just hold up to patient.

awww.emphatic.com_bobg_archer_with_mask.jpg

a1.bp.blogspot.com__hiMpW6nqpHE_SIZz02gljRI_AAAAAAAAASs_hZtIDcPZ9xg_s400_IMG_2385_new.jpg

641_funny_masks_dentist_1.jpg

awww.emphatic.com_bobg_archer_with_mask.jpg a1.bp.blogspot.com__hiMpW6nqpHE_SIZz02gljRI_AAAAAAAAASs_hZtIDcPZ9xg_s400_IMG_2385_new.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Funny, especially the last

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We have had multiple docs asking us to fabricate a snap on smile tool for case presentation instead of just doing a diagnostic wax-up( the norm). We have done a few using a resin based material but they are so brittle that 2 have broken while being handled in dr office. Have any of yall been experiencing this demand from dr/patient? and if so what kind of material have you used to get a somewhat decent result...there has to be something out there that looks good and is not going to take forever to fabricate..ie must be economical and efficient. Please advise!!!

I think this is normally a horrible tool for a diagnostic. The material is going to go over non prepped teeth that will show the patient a bulky over contoured appearance. I suggest a double pour of preop models mounted. Then you have one with a diagnostic and one with out. This allows the patient to hold and look from all different angels and compare directly.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Duplicate your master model

Fabricate your diagnostic wax up.

take an impression of the waxup,ie alginate, and pour a model for vacuum forming.

Vac form using a .5mm temp splint material

Sculpt around the gingival of the teeth with scalpel or electric knife and extend it past the canines to the first or second bicuspids and over the occlusion.Trim the linguals 1mm past the margins for veneers.

Soak the master or its dupe in water and apply separator.

Mix your tooth acrylic and place it inside the vac shell.

Place the shell over the master and cure making sure to remove the excess the extrudes from the shell.

Carefully remove the cured temp making sure to leave the shell on the acrylic.The shell acts as a strengthener and creates a smooth surface which is very esthetic.

I call mine " Smile Temps" and the patients love them.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_Lab_marleneST3.jpgThe patient was so happy she left for Florida and never returned for the actual veneers.
ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_Lab_marleneST3.jpg

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
rkm rdt;25612[COLOR="Red" said:
The patient was so happy she left for Florida and never returned for the actual veneers[/COLOR].

And this was a good thing?

I like the technique but like I said before, and the picture shows it normally makes for an over contoured appearance.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Its ovecontoured by .5mm

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative here Rick, I think you are a fine tech, its just apparent that from the picture this patient infranasal depression is stretched from what appears to be a very over contoured arrangement. I am certain based on other pictures of your work if the case was prepped rather than just going over the initial arrangement it would have been different.

Who knows, perhaps the patient loved this look as it stretched some wrinkles out. Might have to rename this service to "Wrinkle Fixers"

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I prefer " Holistic Botox" myself.

I refer back to a3dl's post here.He /she was looking for an inexpensive option for the Dr.
By leaving the splint material on the acrylic you achieve a stronger temp that with just tooth acrylic.
Yes there is bulk however my reason for pursuing this option was to improve upon the temp veneers that always come off 4 days prior to finishing the case....I'm sure you've had that panic phonecall....
For veneers that require tooth reduction,I will just supply the vac shell.They can then fabricate the temps but making sure to leave the shell on(for strength) rather than peeling it off.

This technique is more for me than the patient if you know what I mean.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I think this is a good tool to even out a reverse smile line and in such cases often a good sales tool. Patients can't imagine a wax up in their mouth just by looking at a model. But I agree if you have to create an instant ortho with this you end up with something really bulky and might end up with the opposite effect = The patien will hate it. The Doc has to evaluate each case to determine if this is a good tool to use. Sometimes a modified digital image might do a better job to sell a case. I have seen plenty of eager buying patients after those "mock ups". There are some Dentists who have "Makeover" parties at their practice after hours. They take impressions, the technicians on staff make the models and the suck down shells while the patients are being entertained with food, drinks and smalltalk and at the end each patient walks out with a mock up and an estimate of the cost at the end of the party. The sign up rate for a makeover is 40% ( I heard). This is big.

A

a3dl

Reaction score
Thanks rkm..this technique sounds a lil tricky but we will have to try it...in this case we will be doing veneers and this will work perfect for the mock up...I will let you know how it goes...and I also agree w John bc we better be careful which cases we do this on bc it could ruin our clients chance at getting the case sold.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score

just my opinion but I think these "restorations" are a temporary thing at the very best. i think what you mentioned says it all - with them breaking in the office. they are horrendous from an esthetic standpoint. they LOOK like somebody took the least expensive "way out". i wouldn't want to be a dentist sending my patients out of the office with these things on. the only thing i could think of using them for would be for perhaps a costume, such as dracula teeth. i guess it is called "snap on smile" for a reason. i just do not see an easy way out of this unfortunately. i look at these as a spare tire of sorts (the kind you can only drive 55 mph) until you can get a new good tire put on.

A

a3dl

Reaction score
just my opinion but I think these "restorations" are a temporary thing at the very best. i think what you mentioned says it all - with them breaking in the office. they are horrendous from an esthetic standpoint. they LOOK like somebody took the least expensive "way out". i wouldn't want to be a dentist sending my patients out of the office with these things on. the only thing i could think of using them for would be for perhaps a costume, such as dracula teeth. i guess it is called "snap on smile" for a reason. i just do not see an easy way out of this unfortunately. i look at these as a spare tire of sorts (the kind you can only drive 55 mph) until you can get a new good tire put on.

our doc does not send pt home w these resin mock ups...they are strictly for in office sales tool like a wax-up on model..they do look good when they dont break handling them...but like I said earlier they break easily..just to be fair; we do not enjoy doing these kinds of mock ups, we would rather do a waxup on model

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I still think a smile on stick would work just as well.

Maybe a trick mirror for patient to look in? :D

I know what your asking Alex, it's tought to do and make a profit.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I found more pics .

ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_tryintemplingual.jpg

ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_tryintemp.jpg

I kept the images large so you could really pick it apart;)
ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_tryintemplingual.jpg ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_tryintemp.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sad to make such a thing, only to go into the trash.

If we were making breast implants, I could understand the "let me see what I would look like if...." point of view from patient. But trying in plastic teeth to try and visualize the final product? Patient may not like what they see?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"Sad to make such a thing, only to go into the trash. "

Not quite.

The Dr kept the temp and the study only to use it as a sample for future patients.

I get paid double for my diagnostic presentation.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Thats gross.

Whatever floats your boat I guess?

I've never seen a plastic tooth that makes me want to fork over thousands of dollars.

Last edited: