short preparation for a thin veneer???

R

rabia

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

i just recieved 6 upper veneers case with different preparation thickness, and the major problem here is #22 the dentist cut half of the tooth and he hardly prepare anything from the labial side!!! it will end up with a show through veneer with a horizontal line in the middle and a brighter color on the incisal part of the tooth where there is no background (no tooth) :(
the stump shade is around B2 and the patient wants her teeth to be one degree brighter than B1
anybody knows how to solve such a problem?

many thanks..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
LT B1 would be my ingot choice with a 1/3 incisal cutback and OE4 enamel.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
errr re-prep?

Either that or your gonna have to move everything labially forward so that the tooth with no labial prep has at least .5 to .6 thickness.

Any less than this and you will probably get a demarcation where the prep ends.

If only they would round the incisal edge back towards the palatal, they wouldnt get these problems! :confused:

OE4 would make a pretty dense enamel but im not sure if this will help with the demarcation comming through a thin sliver of LT.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't think it will be that bad with LT. You can always adjust it and give him a reduction coping if you think it won't work.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
i have a big problem with reduction copings for veneers.

If the dentist dosent round of the reduced area after slicing down to the redcution coping, then this ends in a square sharp top.

I know its an obvious thing to do but the reason the case is having these problems to start with is because of the dr's lack of understanding with veneer preps.

Mabey if you do the coping and make sure you get to talk to him to ensure he rounds off.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Since there is no mention of a diagnostic wax up or a prep guide of some sort then there is plenty of blame to go around.

I would rather not put the patient through a reprep and new temps for one veneer.A reduction coping along with adjustment markings that indicate the "rounding" of the prep should suffice.

The veneer is a B1 and the stump is B2,I don't think there will be much of a demarcation line at all especially after prep adjustment.

Been there done that!

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
How do you encourage your Doctors to get waxups and prep guides? I just did an anterior six where that would have made my life easier.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
We still get alot of cases without diagnostics or prep guides.

Either the surgeon does not know the protocol due to lack of post grad education or does not want to put the time and expense into this process.

Even many of the doctors that do understand, under value the fee we charge per diagnostic unit.

Its very frustrating from a labs perspective as we are back to a total guess situation without this work. Gets even better when the patient dosent like the esthetic outcome because we get to remake the work free of charge:confused:

Top Bottom