Scanning solid models with exocad

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Hi,

A lab local to me has asked me scan some cases for them as their laserdental scanner has broken down. I was only going to scan for them but they don't seem able to open up the different scan files simultaneously on their system, so now I'm designing too.

Unfortunately all of their models are solid and most of the cases are implants.

I'm trying to figure out how to scan the abutments separately and then how to mesh into the jaw scan.

I've tried scanning the model and abutments separately albeit in the same workflow but exocad doesn't allow me register the meshes together.

I've tired loading the die's as a separate scan, but exocad only allows me to call the imported file "antagonist, gingiva,pre-op and general visualisation mesh" I loaded the die as a general visualisation mesh and seemed ok, but when I try to detect the margin I can't select any are that is only the general visualisation mesh.

I'm sure I've seen a post about doing this but couldn't find it, any one got any ideas?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
It can be a pain to scan abutments without a seperate "die" scan. I keep a box of old analogs next to the scanner to hold my abutments when scanning them seperatly. Sometimes the abut's are replicas that arent removable from the model. So I sometimes have trouble getting the light to scan under the collar. So sometimes I have to trim stone away from the model or add wax under the collar to reflect some light....
Just trim the model away, its all you can do. if anything, they can reinject the soft tissue and clean in it up later for a better fit of the soft tissue piece after relieving the stone.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I don't have exocad, but in 3shape when I need to scan in abutment and soft tissue. I make it a sectioned scan, spray the entire model abutments and tissue, then scan the abutment in one by one and align them up with no problems. I would do it the exact same way as you would do a regular sectioned die model scan. Should be no different. But then exocad has has its own way of doing things as well.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I just spoke with Amann Girrbach, they say it's not possible to import a scan of the die separately which is a real nuisance.