S&P question

L

labdude

Reaction score
As this is a copy of an e-mail, and I'm to lazy to put the message first, you have to sort it out. Read the "original message" first.

Easy one. Just to much acrylic. It is true that different acrylics from different makers do behave differently, that is to say, they differ.
Watch this video again. http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f42/s-p-spring-aligner-regular-lower-video-2162/
At about the 3:50 minute point I adjust the camera for a better view. Still, I see the detail is missing quite a bit for what your asking about. I need to try and get a better focus or something, maybe zoom in closer. Anyhow, watch the video, you can see in certain parts of the pink lower work, the wire is still visible through the acrylic. Use the pause a lot.
Answer is, put on less acrylic to avoid the slumping. Better to thin than to thick. If it is to thin, you can add to it after it is cured, before removal from the model. Make sure the moisture is dried of it first, just wipe it with a paper towel. Temperature is a factor, even with the AC doing a good job in the summer, I have to work a little faster. These colder months, the acrylic supply stays cooler, allows more time. Slightly anyhow. Temp is not your problem, volume is. I think I mention somewhere in the posts to keep the acrylic only 2 times as thick as the wire, no more than 1 thickness of wire under wire. Meaning....Lay on the S&P no more than 2 times the thickness of the wire, over the wire. And keep the wires as close as you can to the model by making them no more thean the thickness of the wire used, off the model. .030 wire should have .030 clearence under it, no more or acrylic gets to thick and slumping problems happen. As well as patient comfort goes in the can if the acrylic is to thick. I don't anymore, but used to, carve rugae in the palates so a patient wouldn't lisp when talking. This is done in dentures, so why not here, I thought. It did work well, drs liked it, patients liked it. But nobody really cared enough to keep doing it. It is an extra few minutes of work per case, that adds up quick.
Mike.
Yup....gonna copy this and put it over on DLN too.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:02 PM
Subject: Diagnosis

Mike,

Tonight I decided to just make an upper hawley wrap (Rachels own model) start to finish and the wire came out ok. Next I did the S&P and seemed to go on pretty smooth about 4 layers and to the pressure pot for about 10 minutes at 20 psi with luke warm water. Opened it up and found that the acrylic had slumped down and some ran off the model. What did I do wrong? The acrylic is from GL and it is the tropical green color if your familiar with that one. It was going pretty smooth until then.

Just thought of something that could be a factor, I did the wire bending in the house and then went out to the lab to do the acrylic work and it's pretty cold out there probably 45 or 50 degrees. When we start using it regularly we'll keep it warmed up.

Thanks
Ron

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
More questions

Mike,

I will try it again tonight. You answered another question already that I had was whether you could add more acrylic after curing, I guess you can. Is there a specific time window (Min to Max) to it in the pot after I finish S&P? Should the acrylic by fully cured when it comes out of the pot, it still seemed soft? Did it sound like everything else was correct other than laying it in to thick?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Should the acrylic by fully cured when it comes out of the pot, it still seemed soft?

Yes it should, Try bumping up the temp of your water from lukewarm to the hottest that will come out of your tap. Or if you have a warmer plate under your Pressure pot ...I keep mine at around 120 F Remember Monomer boils off around 212 F Thats bad for your retainer too :D

Another tip from Mike I got; is to wait a little bit before you place you model in the pressure pot. while you wait you can see the extra powder you sprinkled on the top of the retainer start to "wet" in some parts. That is where you have to much monomer go ahead an sprinkle some more powder to soak up the excess monomer.

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
Soft Acrylic

Cade,

I did a couple more last night and they were definitely soft when I pulled them out, they did finish curing sitting out overnight. I'll try hotter water.

Thanks

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Is your momomer old or contaminated? 10 -15 min in a pot hot or not should cure acrylic.

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
Acrylic

Candi,

I think it is about a year old, bought in Jan or Feb of 08. I have a couple of other bottles I could try.

Thanks

L

labdude

Reaction score
Very old acrylics are a problem. I have found that yellows can be very d=fast to cure when they are about 5 + years old. They will cure at the begining of the S&P before you finish the S&P. Cracking and crazing.
Liquids have the shortest shell life. Powders will last about forever.
Glow in the dark colors set slower, but, once cured are harder.
I have some liquids here, not so popular so they see little use, they are maybe 6 years old and still work fine. I use them, but if I see or "feel" weakness or brittleness, I remove the acrylic and start over with a newer batch.
Bench cured acrylic that is still in good shape will always cure hard as Candi points out. Thing is, how long did the supplier have that liquid around before you got it??? That is 1 reason I use the JBC acrylics, they watch their batch dates well. I have never had a problem with theri liquids and have been using it for quite some time now.
I use GL super fine powder where ever clear powder is required. Clear colors and splints etc. Only color powders I use are from JBC.
Bite the bullet as it were, buy a starter kit. You will get all their colors. This will also set you up with a full set of small containers to work from. Then replace with 16 oz. liquids, and 1 lb. powders as needed.

Last edited:
RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Also make sure you mix up your monomer if it has been setting for a while. The main activator in monomer for the cold cure method is a Tertiary Amine, is heavier than the rest and tends to settles to the bottom of the bottle. I always give my monomers a good swirl or light shake if I havent used them in while.
If there is not enough of this "Activator" present to react with the "Initiator" you will not get a complete reaction and therefore the acrylic will remain soft, or take longer to complete the reaction.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Dang Cade!! Sounds just like a CDT dude!!
I always work form a 4 oz. bottle, that way it all fits in my mouth for a quick swirl before I use it. I forgot to mention the mix it up thing.
Great point.
Now...go clean your lab bad boy!
I see more things up above i miss spelled again, gotta clean that up to keep Candi happy. (she's a spelling cop, you know)

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
Acrylics

I replaced the small amount of monomer that was in the bottle and noticed that it had a yellowish tint compared to the new monomer. Probably was bad. I also increased the temp of the water in the pot. The ones I did last night seem to be curing fine. Thanks for all the tips