Roland milling burs

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
I am not getting even close to the number of hours these milling burs our claim to last.

I only got about 11 hours out of CAP Ultra burs.

Which milling burs would you recommend?

Thanks

Peter

Matt Stratton

Matt Stratton

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to hear about the low tool life from our Ultra burrs. 11 hours is markedly lower than we'd expect from those tools, which are very high quality and generally good for ~9X what you're getting now. The are several factors that can play into the tool life, and would be good to list them here:
  • Only use these tools for zirconia and wax. PMMA and other materials can expedite the wear significantly.
  • We rated the tools against the zirconia products we offer. If you are using a different vendor's zirconia, this could contribute to the shorter life (i.e. some zirconia materials are pre-sintered at a higher rate that make it a harder material to mill.
  • The milling strategy used can also play a factor here. If you are not using CAP milling strategies, then this may be an issue.
  • Take care not to let the tip of the tools touch any surface during tool changes/swaps. These are diamond coated tools and can become damaged unless you are careful during handling.
I hope these suggestions are helpful. We believe our Ultra tools are some of the best available for milling zirconia and use them for all of our internal production.

Best regards,
Matt

S

seongjini

Reaction score
Same here, I used 18hrs and started to see chips.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to hear about the low tool life from our Ultra burrs. 11 hours is markedly lower than we'd expect from those tools, which are very high quality and generally good for ~9X what you're getting now. The are several factors that can play into the tool life, and would be good to list them here:
  • Only use these tools for zirconia and wax. PMMA and other materials can expedite the wear significantly.
  • We rated the tools against the zirconia products we offer. If you are using a different vendor's zirconia, this could contribute to the shorter life (i.e. some zirconia materials are pre-sintered at a higher rate that make it a harder material to mill.
  • The milling strategy used can also play a factor here. If you are not using CAP milling strategies, then this may be an issue.
  • Take care not to let the tip of the tools touch any surface during tool changes/swaps. These are diamond coated tools and can become damaged unless you are careful during handling.
I hope these suggestions are helpful. We believe our Ultra tools are some of the best available for milling zirconia and use them for all of our internal production.

Best regards,
Matt

I have 2mm 1mm 0.6mm procut tool from Cap and I only mill PMMA with that tool
I have another set of carbide tool for Wax
I ordered 2mm 1mm 0.6 mm CAP Ultra tool and I wasn't impressed at all with the tool life. As mentioned above only got about 11 - 13 hours of use before I started chipping at the margin.

I use Sum 3d with CAP strategy.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I buy my burs from a local cnc tool supplier... they last as long (or more) as their "premium" dental counterparts without the "dental" markup ;)
Look up in their catalog what the got in 4mm shank tools...if the OAL is longer than 55mm...just shorten it with a diamond disk... adjust the tool parameters accordingly in your stategies as well...

Matt Stratton

Matt Stratton

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing that information. That leaves us with the following possibilities:
  • If you use any brands of zirconia that do not come from CAP, this could be contributing
  • Since you are using 3 different sets of tools, and presumably swapping these sets frequently, there is the potential that the tips of the Ultras are getting knocked around and damaged in this process. As mentioned, it is important to take care when moving these burrs. An accessory like this may also help: http://shop.cap-us.com/caps-roland-dwx-50-tool-organizer-toolie/
  • Thickness of the margins in your designs - CAP recommends having your margin thickness at 0.2mm. You may see chipping on lower thickness values.
  • Machine calibration - should be performed once a week.
  • Air pressure on the machine should be set to 0.05mPa
  • Make sure suction is pulling with decent strength
  • Least likely would be a physical issue with the machine, if all the above can be ruled out. Please give our support line a call to discuss this further at 877-977-7889 x4
Best regards,
Matt

J

jamhirschi

Reaction score
I use the Ultra Diamonds in my Roland. I do not see how you guys are getting 11-13 hours. I am easily getting about 60-80hrs on average.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
We also use the Ultra with CAP's strategies and those tools almost last forever with ZERO chipping. It's got to be something other than the tools.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We use them in my lab and at CAP. We are getting 800 plus units from a set. Have you tried to contact CAP tech support?

O

oscar102624

Reaction score
I use the Ultra Diamonds in my Roland. I do not see how you guys are getting 11-13 hours. I am easily getting about 60-80hrs on average.
What website can I buy those tools from. And your getting 60-80 hours on zirconia?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
we just replaced a set with 1100 units on them...the problem is definitely not the burrs.
Using CAP strategies etc.
Run the problem by CAP tech support, they are top notch.

D

Dejvis

Reaction score
In which country are produced ultra diamond tools?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we also use the ultra burs. They last us about 3.5-4 weeks. Would last longer if our tolerances werent so thin ;)

Top Bottom