Pressure Thermo Unit

M

Mr White

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a pressure thermoformer. Ones I've seen are the Scheu Ministar and the Al Dente Dunaform. There is also a new Al Dente Triform which is a basic version of the Dunaform I think.
Which units do you guys use? I think the Scheu Ministar is branded as a Great Lakes in the US.

The machine will be used to form bite splints, retainers, mouthguards and whitening trays mostly. The Ministar and Dunaform units are around £1600+var and the Triform is approx £750+vat.

The Biostar is bit out if my budget and the Dreve Drufomat seems over complicated to get the same results. The only ones if seen in action are the Drufomat and Ministar. The Ministar seems really user friendly and quick.

Any recommendations/warnings are appreciated.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I've got the ministar, had for at 12 or so years, easy to use and so far never had any issues with it. I don't use the scheu blanks so much but get Erkodent ones from EM Natt, the erkoflex bleach are really nice to use and knock the socks off the scheu equivalent.

I googled the Dunaform, looks ok but never seen one in the flesh, who's the UK dealer?

M

Mr White

Reaction score
Dunaform are sold by WHW. I don't think they're the sole dealer cos the Triform is from the Milnes Bros.

Do you use the Ministar for all the appliance I mentioned above? How much use does your machine get? I'm leaning towards the Ministar. It's been mentioned a few times on here with praise.

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
image.jpgI run a Dunaform and have no problems except just a learning curve in pressures and times at the start.We burnt a few(especially black mouthguards) and bubbled a few but now we have set times and pressures to go by. I think the lamp runs hotter than biostar and Erkodent because the heat times on the blanks do not correspond to the heating time that we use.
The Dunaform will form all the appliances you mention
Pluses on the later model bio and mini stars is a bar code on the blanks and bar code reader on the unit so its idiot proof. I prefer being an idiot and learning more by trying.

-Patrick
image.jpg

M

Mr White

Reaction score
Cheers guys. I like the idea of having manual control. Like you say, not all blanks will be the same.

M

Mr White

Reaction score
The Ministar landed today! Formed a few bits as a test and am very impressed! I've used the Scheu heat times as a guide cos I'm not using their blanks. Up to now they've all been fine.