pressing problems!

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Its looks like contamination bubbles.. The opaque has lifted off the metal.. Damn..

user name

user name

Reaction score
Definetly looks like contaminated metal, but that should have hopefully been noticeable before waxing. Did you just open a new batch of alloy? cast in wrong crucible? finish with wrong stones/burs? contaminated air compressor line? steam cleaner? layer opaque on too thick?
Clean the tray in your burnout oven. Dont pick up contaminants where ingot was setting. Lots of things can go wrong...

artemis25

artemis25

Reaction score
it is problem with sort time dry time in opaquer . try to 10min minimum time in dry opaquer with thin layer of this

C

charles007

Reaction score
Picture #2 Opaque blistered, need longer dry time ... I dry 8-9+ minutes ..Any chance of someone cleaning opaque brush with water and not re-wetting brush with liquid to dampen ..
Water and paste opaque can create blistering..
What is your low temp and dry time ?
If there was no hint on a bubble/blistering on opaque, its containimation from a long list of things... After stripping. refinish metal before proceding forward..

Last edited:
Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Joe, email me or call me and I will get you the appropriate support. Chris Wilson - Zubler USA
[email protected] / 972-600-9187

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Hey Joe, I use a different press to metal, but pic #1 looks like it simply moved in the burnout or pressing stage. If this appears to you to be the case, try leaving a tab on the lingual to anchor the frame in place.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Picture 2 with the bubbled opaque does look like contamination but the fact it is only present where the sprues are attached makes me wonder if if it could be something other than gassing.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Stop using your steamer after you sandblast

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
read somewhere that a new steam cleaner has a lining that may be contaminating your framework- is your steamer new?. Also perhaps dry your opaque on a hot plate before firing -dry it from the inside first to get rid of any micro bubbles

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
thanks everyone. we'll be trying a few things over the next few days. one at a time, see what works. I think we'll make sure our opaque process is nailed down first and then go from there. I'll report back with results.

C

charles007

Reaction score
What is your dry time/low temp with your paste opaque ?