Press UCLA abutment ?

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
Has anyone ever try to press a UCLA abutment with Emax ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever try to press a UCLA abutment with Emax ?
Wouldn't think it would have enough mechanical stability as (my understanding) is there is no real chemical bond to the metal.
That's a lot of force potentially on a very small ring of metal that holds the plastic to the base.

I'd rather bet on a TI base, or a zirconia substructure with pressed emax if you can't/don't mill it. Or some other proven workflow.

paging @Patrick Coon for some expert input please, sir.

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
This is an odd case that we were about to cast it and one of our techs said why not press it ! Huh I agree it sounds a bit weak , so I thought I would present it to the group ! Thanks

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Good to know how it turns out. The question would be if the investment will hold up
with the Ti-Base embedded or will just crack like fireworks when heated to the right temperature
for the press to work. And when it cools down, there will be a gap between the retentive features
and intaglio of the pressing, and then you try to stack, etc, right?
Good luck and please report.
LCM

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
Good to know how it turns out. The question would be if the investment will hold up
with the Ti-Base embedded or will just crack like fireworks when heated to the right temperature
for the press to work. And when it cools down, there will be a gap between the retentive features
and intaglio of the pressing, and then you try to stack, etc, right?
Good luck and please report.
LCM
Ended up going PFM due to the angle of the abutments !

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ivoclar recommends pressing with the cap included, then cementing over the abutment.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
We’ve tested it a little.. keeping the Access hole clear will be the issue
Also, keeping the interface clean... try white-out on the interface. It’ll protect it.. when finished pressing it’ll brush off with a Robinson brush

I’m referring to a “Gold-adapt”,,
Pressing to a “Ti-base” won’t work... we do a lot of layered Titanium..
You will wind up with an oxidation layer on the Titanium between the press.. (a heavy one) that will erode in very little time, breaking the “mechanical” bond...

The only way would be to follow GC Ti instructions for bonder/opaque and press to the opaqued surfaces.

You can find my layered TAN post around here with some tips

Last edited: