Porcelain Building Instrument

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I would like some advice and opinions on different building instruments. I started in ceramics about 7 years ago and they were all using brushes. I never used an instrument and was always told how problematic it was and low quality etc. I think it was probably more the Tech and the technological state of the ceramic at the time. Anyway I find myself spending more time getting the crown built up. I am interested in using an instrument for the majority of the build and then grabbing the brush for the finer details. Sound ok or have others tried it and it did not work out so well?

Thanks,
Jason Nicely

P

paulg100

Reaction score
look through as many articles you can written by the top ceramist around and see how many are using an instument to build up.. i think you will get your answer.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Go look at the pics of Al's work. He builds with a spatula and goes to a brush from there. He is the KING of production and highly esthetic work.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Al is the King.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Does that make Labguy the Queen?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Somehow I feel like the Jester??.....

C

charles007

Reaction score
Go look at the pics of Al's work. He builds with a spatula and goes to a brush from there. He is the KING of production and highly esthetic work.

I want to become King also....
Maybe I can become King for a Day with my Keyboard, and not with my porcelain brush :D
Heck fire, everybody has a dream......

Ok, your right..... Al is King.......... :(

Wait a minute.... we need a Queen...
how bout Rob or Paul .... Doug is to OLD for Al

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
I would like some advice and opinions on different building instruments. I started in ceramics about 7 years ago and they were all using brushes. I never used an instrument and was always told how problematic it was and low quality etc. I think it was probably more the Tech and the technological state of the ceramic at the time. Anyway I find myself spending more time getting the crown built up. I am interested in using an instrument for the majority of the build and then grabbing the brush for the finer details. Sound ok or have others tried it and it did not work out so well?

Thanks,
Jason Nicely

Try a electric vibrating porcelain brush .......

S

stevenson

Reaction score
Dental ceramists build porcelain to shape, prior to placement into the firing furnace, either using a brush or they “stack” porcelain utilizing a metal instrument. For those that build with a brush, their “tool of choice” becomes very, very significant as in 'of critical importance.'..

H

harry1

Reaction score
Use both instrument blades and brushes to stack ceramic, but what I do like are the 'MagiCut back' instruments from Degudent, has 5 options for cut back and seperation, the snake and little heart are good fro mamelons, etc.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can use a bigger brush as well.
Personally I use one brush and the dry powder technique.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ceramicus. Love the brush. You guys that cut back...why put it there in the first place?

Last edited:
al6spap

al6spap

Reaction score
I use a No6 MPF brush (i like the spring...) for my dentin build up and i finish with effects and enamels by using a No2 brush ( i like to give the final shape and details only with the small brush and grind as less as i can after the bakes). In my opinion the brush gives you more natural looks...

al6spap

al6spap

Reaction score
Ceramicus. Love the brush. You guys that cut back...why put it there in the first place?

By giving the full form with dentin and then cuting back, i think you have better control of the amount of translucency and enamels you put on. It works for me, to have a better vision of the final look of the restoration.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
trianglej, just look under case presentation and open the threads started by Al. You will see;)

I use a #6 smileline brush for the whole thing. I apply deep dentine around gingival 1/4, occlusal dentine, dentine to full contour and cut back. Incisal with OE3 on triangular ridges. I like to go full contour and cut back for better accuracy of dentine to incisal placement. It is taking me about 15 to 18 minutes to build up. Al said he would have fired me a looooong time ago....

D

dentallab

Reaction score
I want to become King also....
Maybe I can become King for a Day with my Keyboard, and not with my porcelain brush :D
Heck fire, everybody has a dream......

Ok, your right..... Al is King.......... :(

Wait a minute.... we need a Queen...
how bout Rob or Paul .... Doug is to OLD for Al

Lol this is just great.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
We need a coronation ceremony and long train with a maid of honor like the one in UK recently. Michelle want a go at it?
:D
Sorry, could not resist that one.
LCM