Photo Camera Settings!

R

rabia

Reaction score
hi everybody,

i have a Nikon Photo Camera Dx40 with a close up lens and i wonder if
i am using the right one?! i need to play with the settings but my experience in this field is very shallow!! any suggestions???
i don't mind buying a camera like yours if you think its good enough to show all the details of the patient teeth!! i know i need to take some courses here but absolutely no time for that :eek:

R

rabia

Reaction score
***, the lens is NIKON(AF-S 60mm) i don't use the auto focus cause it seems that it takes forever before this thing can focus!!! so i just use the manual option!
so how can you place the patient head inside that box:D seriously my clients are sending me their patients to take their shade but i just can't take a good photo i try the daylight because i know its the best light colorwise, i do the calibration, i even bought the stand cause my hands shake a lot:confused: ITS JUST NOT WORKING :mad::mad::mad:

P

paulg100

Reaction score
My settings for cannon:

ISO (shutter speed) 100
Fstop (depth of field) 22

flash temp: 5700 kelvin for accurate colour
Image quality: Jpeg fine & or RAW

There probably about the 4 most important ones, so should be a good starting point for you.

Normally you are better of using manual focus, just get the fstop set right. 22 should get the front and back of mouth all in focus.

R

rabia

Reaction score
Paul, thanks for the settings! my friend has Canon i will go and check your settings out:)

***, i am using a normal small flash light!!! which one you suggest i should go for the ring or the dual? thanks​

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone that has a Canon, is NOT your friend. LOL

P

paulg100

Reaction score
yeah a ring falsh is essential, otherwise you will just get horrible bouce back.

The other alternative is a dual arm/twin flash. They are better at bringing out the colours and internal effects on teeth, but unless you wanna get real serious then the extra money would not be worth it.

All my BACD (British Accademy of Cosmetic Dentistry) photogpraphy, both intra and extra oral is carried out with a ring flash with superb resluts.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
On your camera there are settings (symbols)for the type of picture you will be taking. ex. mountains = scenery, running man = sports action; flower = macro. Using the macro mode will get you closer and with clarity than what you're getting now. Depending on the lens you'll be using set the focus control accordingly; M = manual, A = auto. I would suggest using auto until you get the hang of it. Hope this helps.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
forget the pre set modes

use on manual then you know the camera is not mucking about with your settings.

Manual mode, manual focus. Manual mode and the settings i gave above is the easiest way, trust me.

The pre sets will just screw about with the settings.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Paulg100..Im using a Nikon D60 with a 105 mm macro and ring flash from Lester Dine ( dinecorp). Can you shed light on the f stop stuff. The quick start info that came with the set up recommended using f32 for posteriors, f22 for occlusals and f11 for facials. Ive monkeyed around with all...set my shade guide at an angle away from me and shot with all 3 f's, but im not seeing any difference in the depth of field. What is actually happening with a change o f stops? My focus, or depth of field seems to be 10mm.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
aep_yimg_com_ca_I_yhst_67636109930145_2112_1862584_.gif

This looks like a nice setup.

Is everyone using a tripod to hold their camera?
aep_yimg_com_ca_I_yhst_67636109930145_2112_1862584_.gif

P

paulg100

Reaction score
the difference in fstop may not make a big difference with the camera/lens combo ure using.

On my cannons it makes a big difference. Sorry cant remember the exact lens i have at the minute but its a macro one.

I have a free standing D20 and a copy stand mounted d500 on me bench. Some of those copy stands are damn expensive. I eventually found one that was around £50 and it does the job grand.

Copystand CS-380 [CS-380] - 39.00 : Technical Lamps UK-A premier supplier of quality shop display lighting, lamps and light boxes

Its easier to get hold of in the US i think. Nothing fancy but it does the job fine.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
As mentioned in the "Good PLace To Start" thread...

Basic Settings
For all camera brands, the same basic settings can be used to ensure a good starting point and to have solid, well exposed intra-oral photos.

Set your cameras to the following settings:

Aperture priority

with an aperture of ƒ 22 or higher for all shots inside the mouth (intra-oral)
ƒ 4.0 to 5.6 for all full face shots

ISO 200

Be sure your flash is set for TTL (Nikon) or ETTL (Canon).

Do not worry about the shutter speed - if your camera is actually on Aperture priority - the camera will set the shutter for you.

If you know what it is - leave your "Exposure Compensation" dial set to the middle of the scale.

For now, do not change the output of your flash head - let it work at the basic -out-of-the-box- settings.

Set your camera to the flash symbol or the Average White Balance setting for white balance.

Go forth and burn pixels and then lets talk about the results!