Perfect proximals

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

was sitting at bench and was wondering how poeple on this site achive bang-on proximals. Not too tight , not too loose. Drop in bang-on

any favorite routine with certain products, looking to try new things

Thanks,

Sean

P

paulg100

Reaction score
solid model

9 micron blue tape. should just be able to pull it through with a small amount of resistance.

C

charles007

Reaction score

Hey Doug, guess I'm older than you since I don't know what WHS means ?

Paul, what flavor of articulating paper are you using at 9 mic ? do you also use a solid model ?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I'm guessing his eyesight's going and there should be a 5 :) too old to be hip.
or it could be What horse5hit ! just guessing

WH5 - Who, what, when, where, why

PS back to topic - anyone ever do laserweld additions to make metal prox' contacts?

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
solid model

9 micron blue tape. should just be able to pull it through with a small amount of resistance.

I use the 8micron shimstocks, I have a phobia of loose contacts, It kills me every case, does this go away with time?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I use the 8micron shimstocks

same here, but only when certain clients work is being carried out as they can do over the top nitpicking IMO. A tech should be comfortable with 'feeling' the contact during fabrication.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Charles: cant remember the brand, ill try and post tomorrow. and yes ALWAYS solid model.

PGGuyy: yes it goes away in time.

Im in quite a unique position as i work with me bruv(the dentist) on site who was also a tech for 10 years before leaving to train as a dentist, so i get excellent communication and feed back.

Impregum imps taken in rimlock rigid body trays, are always cast within 2-24hrs. Die stone is ALWAYS weighed, water measured and vacuum mixed, using fuji rock (best stone in my opinion).

Dies trimmed and sectioned under at least x6 mag.

Work fitted to solid. and contacts done as described above. I can say with certainty that the contacts are spot on 99% of the time in the mouth.

What we cannot control is tooth movement. This is especially troublesome with the last tooth in the arch as they have a tendency to drift so i always leave the contacts hard on the last tooth so that my brother has some material to adjust.

Another way i sometime use is to scrub the contact points on the model with pencil and then when you seat the crown the areas will mark for easing. The trouble with this is you get no tactile feedback from pulling a piece of tape through, so there is a tendency to over ease.

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
I don't use solid models, and I know I should !.......I heard when you use solid models you should very very lightly scrape the contacts of that model so contacts want be loose. Is this true ?
Several years ago I tried solid models and placed a strip of shimstock with the crown on the solid model. I made the contacts on the solid model so that the shimstock would not pull through. Can't remember the mic thickness ?
Several crowns came back needing tighter contacts......
I always give the last tooth in the arch extra tight contacts, and on second molars, I leave slightly out of occlusion.....
Did I have bad luck, my error, bad temps ?

Charles

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
From a pros perspective you should have a slight drag when using shim stock. If it's too tight it will usually hold, dimple and tear; it usually leaves a brushed dull surface when dragged on ideal contacts.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We use a solid model and have to dial in our contacts based on the client and their preferences. Some like broad contacts some like light marginal ridge contact some like us to abrade the contacts on the solid.

The number one thing to remember is no matter how precise your work is its only as good as the temp the client makes.

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
The number one thing to remember is no matter how precise your work is its only as good as the temp the client makes.

I think this is the best quote I have ever read...thank you John!!

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I have a working model and a solid model for contacts. I use the red carbon paper or shimstock.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
When working on a tooth with only one proximal contact (most distal tooth or neighbor tooth is missing) I leave a little extra. The Dentist may have temp too wide and nothing is there to keep prep from drifting.

I hate solid models. The first pour is what we use. Any other die is different from what I trim and see in the first pour. Impression gets torn/distorted. Little bubbles of spit and blood get plucked off. No way would it fit another die perfect IMO. Maybe in text books when the impression is tough impragum and there are no flaws.

Besides all teeth can move a millimeter or so in any direction, why have a solid model then? You know the patients mouth is not the same after two weeks.

I get a passive fit on the working model, working each contact one by one, then go at it again with all the pieces in place.

Last edited:
Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Solid models are what I had used at a large lab that did 2000+ crowns a month. We used arti-fol and had a slight drag on the solid. The temp can alter the proximal space in some patients. IMO there are still very few dentists' who add contacts to their temps. So as usual we got tight comments more than loose or light. Just my 2 cents, but I'd stick with whatever is working, keep doing it!~Consistency is what I percieve most clients to appreciate.