PEEK implants

C

coris

Reaction score
Hello - regarding PEEK dental interest, I am looking into this PEEK material for denture frameworks and will try the juvora material (see the RPD thread). While i was googling I found some stuff on peek in implants using medical grade "Invibio" PEEK maybe this is interesting to you? there are links to papers and stuff. seems the modulus could be beneficial, i am not sure about the osseointegration issue though.

PEEK Implants: Any thoughts on this new material? | OsseoNews

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Is the PEEK the future...?

what do you think?

http://www.sisomm.com/pdf/implantologie-crestale-es.pdf

Why PEEK? Does it solve a problem that has not been solved already? Will it last 30 to 40 years intraorally?
One piece implants (implant body/abutment) suck because the placement has to be exceptionally precise and well planned. One piece implants limit future prosthetic flexibility. If it is not well planned the restorative dentist needs to adjust intraorally and we know how well dentist prep. Have you tried to prep PEEK? Taking an impression over an abutment is difficult. A patient in the US spends up to $5000 for a single implant. Why not do the right thing with that much money and time involved?
Just my opinion, open for debate.

C

coris

Reaction score
I dont know about the need or appetite for PEEK in implants. Though I have seen companies advertising non metal alternatives (zirconia) and even PEEK from French companies (Sisomme, IMI).
I have used PEEk for my implant supported frames. If you want to see a picture of PEEK used in clasp denture then scroll down this other thread
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f33/rpd-frameworks-10096/

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
PEEK plastic is not weak and is fairly tough to cut with simple steel tools. most PEEK is Tan colour so i wouldnt use it anywhere that was close to a margin. perhaps for an implant placed very subgingival, with a lot of taper where porcelain will be used.

doesnt stick to glue very well though so i have doubts about its use as abutments/cores/posts. as far as the biocompatibility of it, well the only advantage i can see it having over titanium inserts is that it is less affected by extreme cold and won't make the patient uncomfortable in the Arctic.

C

coris

Reaction score
Found a youtube video of some PEEK dental implant being inserted
Peek Optima® dental Implant - world exclusive - YouTube

Regarding sticking to glue. Definitely dont use pritstick :)
Dont know if juvora dental peek is "normal" peek, but I have found that if you prep it right (eg. Rokatec) then I have no probs with adhesion onto PEEK dental framework or implant bars. I've asked juvora for a list of preps and primers. that work

Last edited: