Origin 50

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about it but I got to see it at the Chicago show. Still in the end stages of development. 5 axis single puck. Internal computer with a 10.2 inch touch screen for input. The developer told me it would mill a FCZ with .3mm bur included in about 13 to 15 minutes. 8 tool changer holders as well. I would say the spindle would be a definite consumable, but then, aren't they all? lol. It uses step motors instead of servo. Does the Roland DWX-50 use step motors as well?

PastedGraphic-1.jpg

I am looking at the desktop 400 as well. It just seems like a lot more machine than I need.

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
More than you need? I'd spend more and get something that handles it all and well. CAD/CAM tends (understatement) to increase the amount of work you can do. You'll reach a point when you say, "I need that 5th axis and metal capabilities for all our implants and other junk." I guess you could always buy a second unit at that point as well. Does Origin do a buy back program?
Just sayin

C

charles007

Reaction score
B&D does have a trade-up program... get full cost paid with-in the first 12 months..

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Riley, good advice;)

I plan on doing hybrid Zr abutments, FCZ, Zr copings and milled wax.

I do about 60 FCZ, 3 hybrid Zr abutments, 20 FC Emax, 25 layered Emax and 1 or 2 PFMs a week. Sometimes more but never less. Seems like about 2 days of milling for a desktop 400? That's why I was curious about the smaller units.

Charles, I forgot about the trade up program;)

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Dang Mr. Nicely, I thought it was just you and one other guy. How many people are in your lab?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
There are 3 of us. I have mini heart attacks all day;) Especially when i look in the ultra sonic and see a couple of crowns sitting in there lol.

I was 4 and a half people for awhile. I got my CAD system and over time got very efficient with it. I lost one to dental school and the other lost her mind lol. I ended up holding off on an ad and realized with my CAD system I really did not need anyone else.

Logistics are my issue now. I will have all these cases ready to be scanned in and designed. No problem, except I have all this layered anterior work to do. The CAD cases may not be due for a week but I have to get them scanned in, designed and sent off in time to get it back from the milling center. I find myself having to hold off on difficult anterior work that is due, to scan design and send off. I figured a milling machine will end all that inefficient workflow. I know I could always hire in someone cheap to scan etc but I don't want to go that route at this time.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
"I know I could always hire in someone cheap to scan etc but I don't want to go that route at this time."

This always puzzles me. The one man basement labs I know work and breath, I don't think they eat or sleep. I can't figure out why they don't hire some trustworthy neighbor kid or niece/nephew to take some of the load off?!? Wouldn't it be worth it pay some kid or college student piece rate to scan, do some model work, or invest/press/divest? Most business models succeed and grow when the owner owns (with knowledge of how to do everything still) and employees he/she has earned respect from and have their own pride and respect in the company and their role in it.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I find myself having to hold off on difficult anterior work that is due, to scan design and send off"

i get this problem too, have my fair share of sleepless nights over it.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Riley, your dead on with what your saying. My problem is I do this for more than just a job. I really enjoy it. I enjoy improving on my design work, learning new abilities of the software and trying out things it was not initially meant to do;) Same with ceramics. I need to make some changes though for sure.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I'm a simple man, I enjoy the sound of the clicking of the mouse and billing out.
:)

THE END

L

LifeLike

Reaction score
Jason,
was that one the table when you first walked in to the left ? It looked a little different to me , it was called a 50 or something like that. I looked at that but I think , hope , I will quickly outgrow that , I think I am going to get the 400, instead of the 3000 ,I think I can get to fit better in what little space I have left in my lab ,then if i move to a larger location it will be easier to move.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Nick, that was the one. That small one when u first walked in. I think you will probably outgrow one 400 by the sound of it!! I still don't see the benefit of wet milling yet. Of course you will have that option with the 400 if you ever need it;)

Good talking to you last week and EVERYBODY, the party barge ONLY goes 56 mph!!!! Not 60 like I said earlier! Lol