Open Proximals

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
Hey boys/girls,

Question for everybody. I have this one dentist who gets open proximals every once and a while. We don't get it with other dentists. Basically .2-.3mm open.

So whats the deal? tight temps?

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
We get this too. I haven't figured out what this doc is doing with his temps....but..when I'm doing the final fit on the solid model I zip the proximals with my high speed real quick, to give a little fudge room for him.

Although I like my work to just drop in, it's better to have it there than to have it come back for a contact add-on.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hey boys/girls,

Question for everybody. I have this one dentist who gets open proximals every once and a while. We don't get it with other dentists. Basically .2-.3mm open.

So whats the deal? tight temps?

Best way to resolve this is to send the doctor solid models with each case that have been ditched at the margins. If the contacts are open with your crown, tell him to try his temporary on the solid model you sent with the case...if it won't go down then his temps are the problem.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Best way to resolve this is to send the doctor solid models with each case that have been ditched at the margins. If the contacts are open with your crown, tell him to try his temporary on the solid model you sent with the case...if it won't go down then his temps are the problem.

That's an awesome trick !! So self-revealing to the doctor IF that's actually the problem. We always use and send the solid cast anyway......Thanks

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score

Hey thanks man! good idea. I usually send the solid anyways, but we never thought of this.

Thanks

T

Tooth Geek

Reaction score
Open proximals in the mouth are often caused by crowns not seating all the way down. If it only pertains to a particular dentist i'd be looking in their impressions and factors such as clear margins etc. Obviously if we have to "guestimate" the margins we can end up over-trimming them which would hinder complete seating in the mouth....Other issues could relate to dimensionally unstable impression material (i.e. models produced slightly larger).

P

paulg100

Reaction score
we do see drifts as well. If the crown is the second from last tooth in the arch then its quite common that the last tooth will drift distally.

I usually leave the distal contact on the crown slightly hard in these indications.