Nobel Biocare Scanner...TRASH!!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Just writing in real quick to get some anger out. Been being real patient with this scanner since it was "placed" in the lab. But it is painfully slow to scan, a joke to design on, and a pain to get the scanner to turn on! I know some of you have them and enjoy them but Nobel took a step back from their Forte scanner and if not a step back then a step nowhere!!
Too bad if I hurt your feelings Nobel.

JOE_Z

JOE_Z

Reaction score
I had some trouble with mine initializing the scanner at first but sent it back to optimet to get the bugs out. It is a very slow scanner i try to scan as little area as I can get away with and find other cases to set up while its working. What type of restorations are you designing?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We had the scanner at CAP for a couple of months and sent it back. We could not get it to work efficiently. Our local NB rep. who is very knowledgeable couldn't get it to work effectively either. You picked the wrong scanner. You should send it back.
B

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's how I also feel about the MentalWings.

You will note that Glidewell no longer has one in their lab.

Not one in use. I find the workflow to be non-user-friendly.

Same bugs and problems as years and years ago with Cynovad and Evirsa. (Same basic software with a few bold new graphics)

Nothing got fixed IMO. I would not use it for free. Which we actually had a free copy years ago from 3M.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I don't want to be the guy that chimes in every time someone slams Nobels optical scanner but I have to say I find it works very good for me.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What do you do with it, may I ask? :confused:2

Just Implants? and if that...only Nobel stuff?

You make substructures and sh1t like that with it?

We now have the most recent Nobel conversion.

Fresh off the press. STL conversion is only $0.99, then you can do whatever.

Wanna see a Bruxzir from a Nobel scanner?

Wanna see one wet-milled? I know you do.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We make abutments for nobel, astra, straumann,

We can scan and design bars on all the above and can design on any fixture with remote scanning

We make temps

We do ZI and Alumina

We will shoot the **** middle of next month in Pasadena, BTW there is another KAVO unit on EBAY :)

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
We have the Optimet scanner. It is slow. However, it's nice for the abutments and bars. It's a nice back up for Zr when our 3Shape/Zeno system was down. Our 3Shape D700 is a rocket in speed comparably. Nobel has an excellent warranty and support rep's in our area. No regrets for our operation.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
John, if you want one...I know where many are for well under $20k. (KaVo)

I'm buying another myself.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Your not having much luck are you Riley :( first the craplab, now this.

Ive heard more people unhappy with the nobel scanner than people that are pleased with it.

If i ever take on another system it will be strictly based on 3 month+ trial. If company arent prepared to do that, then ill keep on walking.

You can never tell whether this stuff works properly until you get it in the lab. The fact that everyone seems to have their own opinion on if it is good or not dosent help.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Fortunately, I think, we didn't buy this scanner, it's just here. We have the 3shape which is a pure joy...some days I just stare at it as if it were my newborn baby. JK.
Unfortunately we are stuck with it till end of december cause we got caught up in doing the nobel iPad deal for our doctors. We did get a new doctor that way though, thanks nobel. But we are loosing tons on time and higher cost of emax.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

We will talk in Pasadena you are coming right?

S

Swatch8x

Banned
Reaction score
That's how I also feel about the MentalWings.

You will note that Glidewell no longer has one in their lab.

Not one in use. I find the workflow to be non-user-friendly.

Same bugs and problems as years and years ago with Cynovad and Evirsa. (Same basic software with a few bold new graphics)

Nothing got fixed IMO. I would not use it for free. Which we actually had a free copy years ago from 3M.

I've been using Dental Wings scanner and design software for 3 years now, and I am quite pleased with the results. Sure, there are still some bugs, but a lot less than in the previous versions, and there is noticeable progress in the version 3 of the software.
As a dealer we had to teach new users how to work with the scanner and software, and everyone agreed that the software is simple and intuitive, everybody learned to work with it fast enough. Granted I didn't have the chance to work with 3Shape or other systems, I find it hard to believe that there is a perfect software. I think it's all about the software you are most familiar with or the brand names that sometimes mean more than the actual results that really matter in the end.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score

How much for a Scan Pro with computer Scott?
Need to send mine back for a new turn-table and the Eco (my spare) wont let me do the larger bars. limping by at the min till it goes back:(

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I've been using Dental Wings scanner and design software for 3 years now, and I am quite pleased with the results. Sure, there are still some bugs, but a lot less than in the previous versions, and there is noticeable progress in the version.........

I forgive you. You simply don't have a clue as to what you are missing. :D

Go out and venture into the world one day.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I think it's all about the software you are most familiar with or the brand names that sometimes mean more than the actual results that really matter in the end.

I agree with you to a point. But of the 5 scanners and their software that I've used, 3shape is the only one that I've been able to scan and design pretty much anything without any headaches!! That's freaking amazing!! Fast and simple to use.
The new noble scanner is continuing to give me stress even as we speak.

S

Swatch8x

Banned
Reaction score
I agree, in all fairness I have mainly designed crown and bridges using Dental Wings and only a few different types of works that the software officially cannot do, but can be "tricked" into doing with a little creativity.
I hear more and more good things about 3Shape from different sources, so I guess everybody cannot be wrong or biased.
My apologies if I offended anyone with my posts :sorry:

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the way i see it a lot of people cut their teeth (intentional pun) on scanners like Dental wings, Cerec, Sirona, etc. and end up afterwards trying 3shape; not many start in 3shape and move away to something else.

this tells me that 3shape must naturally be an easier to use software - on the basis that people who like it better than their other systems actually have some experience with cadcam to begin with. so they know what they want, and they have a certain expectation.

persons like myself starting in Procera MOD40 thimblemaker deluxe have expected certain improvements to the process and have found it exceeds those expectations by not a small margin (intentional pun).

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"persons like myself starting in Procera MOD40 thimblemaker "

Yep thats what i started on when they first came out.

I guess sometimes its easy to forget how far even the worst current systems have come.

Top Bottom