New one powder build up by Ivoclar

D

dental1975

Reaction score
Rep came in today with dentoincisal Inline Ivoclar's newest creation. One powder; body and incisal in one for PFM and press to metal. 7 bottles for every shade, except 3D shades. Looked pretty good just stain a little. What are your thoughts?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Personally I think the one powder builds are a gimmick.
I saw Kangs video somebody gave a link to where he stained crowns.

It is way too time consuming to do all that staining. And if you saw the crowns in your hand I bet the results are only marginal compared to building with 4 powders.

A single unit build up with 4 powders takes between 7 to 10 minutes and staining at glazing is nothing. A couple of dots in the pits on posteriors and none on anteriors.

How long does it take to build up a crown with only one powder?
2 or 3 minutes faster?
But then you have to stain the heck out of it. And how many coats.

Also the porc is often too translucent and does not mask out the opaque in thin areas.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
AMEN ....Brother Al.

D

dental1975

Reaction score
The rep did say you get the color from the opaque, i ground on a acouple there pretty dense

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I build porcelain from a wet tray, with the exception of the particular body porcelain for that crown, everything that I comonly use is on the tray, with the porcelain on the tray it dosen't make much differance if I use three or five or seven porcelains to build a crown.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I guess for some the advantage would be not wasting powder and the time saved not pouring out all the powders for the day - but if your using the jar dipping technique that will nix all the above. Id be very surprised if you could regularly achieve a one powder crown that looks as good as a 4 or 5 powder build. BUT i've been surprised before! popcorn

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
i have used this new ceramic and it works very well. i have to say for the most part the people that participate on this forum regularly are from smaller, higher end laboratories - yes, i am sure we have some members from a larger lab, but most are the owners of their own lab. anyway, i think you have to take this porcelain for what it is, a simple, fast & efficient porcelain for dentists that are not looking for mamelons, internal craze lines and 8 powder build ups. it built nice, looked esthetic and just needed a touch of cervical staining and a glaze. for those cases that come from clients that just want a PFM in the shade prescribed and the restoration to function properly, this works really well. for larger cases, multiple anterior PFM's or cases where the dentist has dictated halo effects, cracks, mamelons or other custom alterations then yeah, grab your tray and build conventionally with multiple powders, but for the majority of the work the inline one body fits in very well. however you want to look at it, it saves at least one firing cycle per restoration. multiply that (figure a bake is 12, 13 minutes or so) by how many units you stack a week and your looking at saving several hours a week of furnace time.