Need some help understanding nightguards

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It's been amzaing, and man that was unbelievably lucky. Changed my life. It's still kicking too I have only replaced mirrors. I use it almost every day. I hate paying yearly licensing fees but considering my purchase price I'm way ahead. Only other issue was my dongle crapped out and I couldn't even load scans for 5 days until they sent me a physical replacement (I think for free? haven't seen a bill).
Which version of trios? That's a good lifespan

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I sold my T2 last year and bought a T3.
Are you designing your splints in Blender for dental Pat?

K

kenn

Reaction score
Also, definitely have the doctor scan the bite at the open bite you want for clearance. Even on a leaf gauge, the patient can want to protrude or deviate...so they need to use their EYES and their JUDGMENT and not just say oh hell there is a leaf gauge here I guess I got CR. I can make inflammatory comments like this because I am both a doctor, and occasionally guilty of capturing a protruded bite. But I make my own appliances so then I only get to yell at myself.

. Cheap/Quick/Accurate Digital facebow is kind of the major missing piece of the puzzle.

The following get you therein some way shape or form.
- Average values get you there
-Measurement estimations
-Cheap Facial scanning Simple (Bellus, Photogrammery apps)
-Cheap Facial scanning with some extra magic (bite pates, forehead plates etc)
-Expensive Facial scanning (Arctec, Face Hunter, etc)
-Digital jaw tracking and digital facebows integrated with 3Shape etc.

Super helpful info! What have you incorporated into your workflow at your practice so far?

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I sold my T2 last year and bought a T3.
Are you designing your splints in Blender for dental Pat?
No definitely not. I'm using D3Splint (I didn't want to bring that up conflict of interest wise since I wrote it and sell it). D3Splint is based on Blender too but I can confidently say D3Splint is light-years beyond Blender for Dental's splint module. Their model work and other modules are neat and coming along though.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Super helpful info! What have you incorporated into your workflow at your practice so far?
Trios scan, leaf gauge or cotton roll or wax bite and scan, design and 3dprint with Form2 in dental lt clear. Polish with some brillo wheels and little polishers

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good thread, it's on my Watch list.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
I make mine with a vaccum press, good ol clear acrylic and a pressure pot- no air bubbles, no delaminate issues, no staining/ easy to clean, Dr or I can reline/ add to bite plane etc etc. Once I get into a cycle, it takes me no time to pump them out. We could scan/ mill but I can make them way faster by hand, and it comes down to like $7 in material per NG. I have Dr take blu mousse centric bite with a Lucia Jig (they provide). We always go with flat occlusal plane, and give slight ramp in the anterior if when the lower jaw comes forward and the back teeth still hit. They also like 3mm of plane for movement in either direction.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I have been doing splints from digital medium for the last 4 years and we have found a few ways of doing them that have given us great results.
We looking into milling, but it was time consuming and tedious when we use all of our mills currently and couldn't dedicate any to milling splints (Also the material we tried didn't compare to our standard material we prefer to use).

The best strategy we have found is a method i developed where we design the splints digitally (Either from ios scan or physically scanned models) and then reverse engineer a mold from that splint. We then print the mold and then can easily use our preferred flow-able acrylics to give us an extremely accurate splint that has minimal trimming requirements once out of the pressure pot. We have even seen better overall results since the acrylic is blocked from any contaminants in the water, we have noticed clearer and more aesthetically pleasing splints come from this method. This method has also allowed us to use fully flow-able materials in the splint deigns, where usually we would have to do the surface in a harder acrylic to ensure that the acrylic wouldn't flow out, or have to wax walls extremely high.

We also do make some splints physical based from ios scans, where we print and mount the models and then proceed with either digital or physical production. With 3Shape calibration objects, we can ensure that articulations are consistent across the design and has lead to really accurate splints, not to mention the finishing time on our splints has decreased significantly.

We ask doctors to either send a physical bite, or scan with the bite they would like. If they do the later we can design a bite guide digitally and then mount the models accordingly for more complex splints.