mouthwash

T

tiredtechs4

Reaction score
Does anyone out there spray finished pfm's with mouthwash before sending the case out? One dr. here says it contaminates the metal, however at the BIG lab I just left they spray pfm's with mouthwash before boxing it up & sending it out.....

user name

user name

Reaction score
Go ahead and spray some on a dark slab... see what it looks like when dried? Now you think thats a good idea???

T

tiredtechs4

Reaction score
mmmmm ok.....did that "dark slab" thing. None of us here could decipher what you're point is. Sorry.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Does anyone out there spray finished pfm's with mouthwash before sending the case out? One dr. here says it contaminates the metal, however at the BIG lab I just left they spray pfm's with mouthwash before boxing it up & sending it out.....

I guess I have to ask WHY? Are you attempting to disinfect? There's better protocols than that, and mouthwash isn't a disinfectant in the sense you need to employ as a health care provider.
So, what's the point, even?

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Nope, I don't put anything on the crowns on the way out. And especially not on the acrylic work going out. The dentist, *ideally*, should be autoclaving your work anyhow, making the mouthwash a moot point. Save the cash.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Nope, I don't put anything on the crowns on the way out. And especially not on the acrylic work going out. The dentist, *ideally*, should be autoclaving your work anyhow, making the mouthwash a moot point. Save the cash.

"should do" and "what really happens" are 3 different people. how many times have you gotten an impression full of blood? full of bacteria bags aka cotton?

i shudder every time i have to clean the traps.

disinfect the product and hermetically seal it in a bag before shipping; don't trust anyone else down the chain to be responsible. clearly they cannot be trusted.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
disinfect the product and hermetically seal it in a bag before shipping; don't trust anyone else down the chain to be responsible. clearly they cannot be trusted.

That's what you should be doing according to a universal precautions protocol. My point is that mouthwash is not a hospital grade disinfectant.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Back in the 70's I worked at a lab that did that, but mouthwashes contain sugar, makes things sticky, and how do you know what scent or flavor the patient likes. The Clifford reports Welcome to Clifford Consulting & Research online - North American english version have noted there are many formulas of mouth wash, allergies are all over and lawyers are hungry for work. Friends of Bill W avoid alcohol mouthwashes what is in the one U plan to use? It's not label specific to use mouthwash, doing something off label have you checked your insurance? Use a hospital grade or dental specific disinfectant, I use Citrus II - The Fresh Approach to Controlling Healthcare Odors and Pathogens...Naturally! May be used to comply with OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200. Smells nice and DDS has to rinse it off.

Last edited:
thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
Used to use mouthwash with removables untill Dr. called and informed us Pt. had an bad alergic reaction. Got to agree with kcdt.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Back in the 70's I worked at a lab that did that, but mouthwashes contain sugar, makes stings sticky, and how do you know what scent or flavor the patient likes. The Clifford reports Welcome to Clifford Consulting & Research online - North American english version have noted there are many formulas of mouth wash, allergies are all over and lawyers are hungry for work. Friends of Bill W avoid alcohol mouthwashes what is in the one U plan to use? It's not label specific to use mouthwash, doing something off label have you checked your insurance? Use a hospital grade or dental specific disinfectant, I use Citrus II - The Fresh Approach to Controlling Healthcare Odors and Pathogens...Naturally! May be used to comply with OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200. Smells nice and DDS has to rinse it off.

Great post! I totally missed the allergy aspect of it! Food for thought. Thanks.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Used to use mouthwash with removables untill Dr. called and informed us Pt. had an bad alergic reaction. Got to agree with kcdt.

As I told Ajel, I never even though of that! Thanks for sharing the experience!

T

tiredtechs4

Reaction score
Awesome! Now there's some good, helpful posts for answers. THANK YOU!