Modular 4 Induction casting machine help

M

MrTommy

Reaction score
We were using our tried and true broken arm casting machine here in our lab for years but decided to go back to the Modular 4 Induction casting machine due to some reconfiguration issues of our equipment. We have been casting non-precious alloys such as Rexillium with no issues, in fact better results than we ever could with the broken arm and torch. BUT, whenever we cast low fusing C&B alloys such as Argengo 58, we have miscasts/porosity due to overheating the metal. The alloy in the bottom of the crucible literally burns up/fries and the top of it won't fully melt. I've tried longer/slower melts and faster melts to no avail. I have also changed the casting temp set point up and down to try and adjust, also with failure. I've reached out to the people and techs at Nobilium (they are the company that deals with Modular induction casting machines these days) and haven't gotten an answer. I realize this machine is an older iteration of this brand of casting machine, but we aren't able to upgrade at this time. Any help?

S

SrLewis

Reaction score
Not sure if you've found an answer to your problem but I had purchased a Jelenko induction casting machine 30+ years ago. I was told it would cast any alloy from gold to chrome cobalt. It always burnt up my gold alloys but it cast non-precious fine. I finally found a technique which worked for me. I would heat the gold till melted and as you know at that point it would be too hot to cast. I would stop heating the metal and wait a few seconds to let it begin to cool then cast. The only thing to figure out is how long to let it cool before casting. Hope that helps.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Are there inserts available for your crucibles? With the Fornax there there are inserts for working with different types of alloys.

S

SrLewis

Reaction score
Yes, there were carbon inserts for casting gold alloys. The gold heated so fast I realized I had to let it cool for a second or two before actually casting. It helped me but took some experimenting to find there right amount of time to pause before casting.

D

D and D

Reaction score
Not sure if you've found an answer to your problem but I had purchased a Jelenko induction casting machine 30+ years ago. I was told it would cast any alloy from gold to chrome cobalt. It always burnt up my gold alloys but it cast non-precious fine. I finally found a technique which worked for me. I would heat the gold till melted and as you know at that point it would be too hot to cast. I would stop heating the metal and wait a few seconds to let it begin to cool then cast. The only thing to figure out is how long to let it cool before casting. Hope that helps.
With gold alloys you need a carbon lined crucible. I sprinkled a small amount of flux to help the melting and as soon as it starts to crack I would cast it and slow the rotation speed down. I have an old unitech induction casting machine.

D

D and D

Reaction score
With gold alloys you need a carbon lined crucible. I sprinkled a small amount of flux to help the melting and as soon as it starts to crack I would cast it and slow the rotation speed down. I have an old unitech induction casting machine.
Can you control the temperature when heating up the metal? Need to heat very slow.