Model Duping

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I know hydrocolloid is the gold standard in duping. I do not have space/money/desire to get one. Currently I alginate dupe. Is there something more accurate than alginate, but nearly as cost effective? Or maybe just less annoying than alginate duping.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
You can melt hydrocolloid in the microwave.

D

Donovan R Naylor

Reaction score
Double boiler on a stove, or microwave works. Maybe a crockpot too? You can also get a pressure pot to do the trick as a holding tank if you keep it around 130. I forsee problems with retrieving from the pot though.

D

Donovan R Naylor

Reaction score
Aside from that, you maaaay be able to get away with making non-reversible silicon molds outta like... Caulk or something silicon like. But that would be more work than alginate, and probably only marginally better once you mastered the technique. On the plus side you'd always have a mold to redupe!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You can melt hydrocolloid in the microwave.
Heard there is a good amount of loss with this method, hot spots ect. Thought this was a method to use in a pinch not regular practice.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Silicone. But instead of the big flasks use a Rubbermaid or ziploc 1 cup container. Cut out the bottom and flip it over. There's an old thread on it in here. You can also chop up the old silicone molds when you're done with them and add to new molds. So you don't have to use all new material.
eb5e9d1eb6601fecda488d73c7744a4b.jpg

Something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Works well. But I made the switch to hydrocolloid last year. Cheaper and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Here's what I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/14321003 Keeps a steady temp so no hot spots, use a meat thermometer to get it to manufacturer's specs for the material. I use Dupli-Coe-Loid by GC, cut it into 1X1 cubes, turn it on and stir it every 4 mins. When it is all melted, I lower temp to spec, and leave it there for 12 mins (cools down fairly quickly) so I don't mess up my block-out wax. A Duplicating machine is on my wish list, but this works like a charm so not sure if I'll ever do it, this is basically a manual version of what Doris has.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Here's what I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/14321003 Keeps a steady temp so no hot spots, use a meat thermometer to get it to manufacturer's specs for the material. I use Dupli-Coe-Loid by GC, cut it into 1X1 cubes, turn it on and stir it every 4 mins. When it is all melted, I lower temp to spec, and leave it there for 12 mins (cools down fairly quickly) so I don't mess up my block-out wax. A Duplicating machine is on my wish list, but this works like a charm so not sure if I'll ever do it, this is basically a manual version of what Doris has.
How long does that take to get it melted before you turn it down?

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
About 24 minutes (usually end of the 6th cycle). And when I turn it down I leave the lid open a bit, like boiling water on the stove so it doesn't boil over. Otherwise you get some very overcooked material, ruined a batch prior to figuring that out.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Heard there is a good amount of loss with this method, hot spots ect. Thought this was a method to use in a pinch not regular practice.
My old lab used the microwave method exclusively for 20yrs until the boss retired and closed. Just need to add some distilled h2o every bit to keep the consistancy. We'd stop the micro and stir, take temp, restart. When its all good and melty, take the tupperware bowl it's in to the sink and run cold water around the bowl while stirring until it reaches the right temp. Takes les than 10min start to pour.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I have been looking into microwave technique. Have become more interested in the prospect.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into microwave technique. Have become more interested in the prospect.
Forgot to say just using a 'heavy' tupperware style bowl with a lid slightly askew for steam to escape is good. No lid=too much moisture loss in the microwave.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Any material suggestions that works well in microwave and is relatively inexpensive.

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
How do you pour it into the flask from here? Thanks!

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
There are now small inexpensive hydrocolloid machines on the market that seem really good. pic attached.

How you treat your material is super important or you will denature it and it will deteriorate quickly so in my opinion a good machine is important.
That being said if you only do a few a day a small machine or "make do" apparatus may do. Buy a thermometer for sure to check heating and holding temps.

Personally I love hydrocolloid and have been using it for over 25 years as a standard in the lab.
titel_zahntechnik_geraete_dublithermcompact.jpg

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
How do you pour it into the flask from here? Thanks!
I pour it from the pot into a funnel that I put in the flask. I'd like a real one, was checking out the one from TCS, but I only run 6-10 a week, I check the temp with a meat thermometer, and I've never had any issues. I can get it to last for 2-3 months, but I'm not cooking it very much. When I'm done, I go ahead and cut it into cubes and just put the lid on it with a little water and it stays good.

Top Bottom