Milling Machine Comparisons

L

labtek

Reaction score
This is a Great price on the dwx50 Mills, Does anyone else have a used DWX50 unit for sale? Does whoever bought the 2 units that were listed for sale, want to sell one of them?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Problem is I don't know what machines they use. It would seem that you should get a better fit from a $175,000 Haas than a $40K Roland. I know we may be splitting hairs here, but I'm just trying to understand if you guys with more than one milling machine have noticed consistently better fits with a specific machine.

Well I did find out what Argen uses...Rolands for zirconia and the VHF for wax. I assumed they would have the "big machines" but no. I was pretty impressed with the fits that I got from them the few times I used them. Maybe better than Straumann's 5 ton machines. Seems like more money doesn't always translate to better fits in the milling business...maybe just higher volume, longetivity, and versatility.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well isn't that an interesting bit of info.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Well I did find out what Argen uses...Rolands for zirconia and the VHF for wax. I assumed they would have the "big machines" but no. I was pretty impressed with the fits that I got from them the few times I used them. Maybe better than Straumann's 5 ton machines. Seems like more money doesn't always translate to better fits in the milling business...maybe just higher volume, longetivity, and versatility.

They also have two of our Versamill's, and we just MAY have worked with them on some of their Roland zirconia templates... ;)

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The next generation of milling without all those moving vibrating burs that ware out and much fewer moving parts is not far away.

I've had a peek and its interesting but not ready for prime time yet, but it will happen.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
If you are just getting started in the switch to digital I recommend that you choose a good company with a proven track record for excellent support. Try to "stick with them" as a rule especially for the big ticket stuff. It will be much easier for them to be helpful when things go a bit wonky,..and trust me,..they will sometimes. If you have a patchwork of software and hardware from this guy and that guy then things can get crazy QUICK ,..especially if you are like most techs who will only ever have enough real CAD/CAM edu. to get in trouble! That is actually very normal and no problem really,..as long as you are on the same page from front to back with a great company who will support you. It is SOOOOOOO important so be very careful.
Regarding software I think Exocad or 3 shape are smart choices (I like Exo but who cares) Delcam is great but less friendly and DW just never really caught on
As for the machine,..It may be true that most of what we do now can be accomplished with a 4 axis dry only machine, however.. the "wet 5" work is where it's all headed baby.
Remember to look at the build. Spindle quality, strong frame, servo motors, no belts or pulleys and don't forget,..versatility. Was it designed specifically for dental? or is it a converted jewelry or industrial mill. Don't half ass the purchase,..shop carefully for quality first and price second,...and if you do it right you will be buying into a relationship with a partner who has your best interests in mind.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
They also have two of our Versamill's, and we just MAY have worked with them on some of their Roland zirconia templates... ;)
if only people listened to your signature and company slogan more often.

it really is *More than just about the machine*

B

birnbaum

Reaction score
I was just mentioning other possibilities I have experienced. I always had to grind the internals of two libraries when doing hybrids. The NT trading library seats over the interface perfectly. Never have to touch a thing. These three different libraries were all milled with three different CAMs and three different machines. The two that didn't fit well, didn't fit well off of any of the combinations. The NT trading library fit great off of all three combinations.
Does the NT trading library allow you to mill the full hex in a regular blank? (not premilled nt trading) Are you using the CAP library?
thanks for feedback

Top Bottom