Milling Implant interfaces

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I don't have a mill but I'm thinking of getting one. I see people milling screw retained bridges on Yena machines with success. What is the position with milling implant abutments? I know that premilled blanks are available with the interface/connection already finished. Is it possible to mill the entire abutment from scratch?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it is technically possible, sure. just at what pricepoint do you want to talk. the equipment to mill titanium that size is very expensive - however you could make it easier on yourself by 3d printing the thing and casting in semi. thats a lot smaller pricepoint.

the reason blanks come premilled is to try to save you as a manufacturer some money by not needing the huge investment in milling machinery to produce your most common items.

G

greener1031

Reaction score
I don't have a mill but I'm thinking of getting one. I see people milling screw retained bridges on Yena machines with success. What is the position with milling implant abutments? I know that premilled blanks are available with the interface/connection already finished. Is it possible to mill the entire abutment from scratch?

Coolhandluke is correct that premilled blanks are fabricated to reduce time and money for abutments. Additionally the type of mill the blanks come off of is designed to fab just these kinds of objects. Certainly some bigger mills can make complete abutments. I guess the question is; where is the profit point? Buy a smaller machine and give up a little on the blanks or buy a big machine, grow thru the learning curve and save a few bucks per blank?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'm just trying to figure out what I can realistically achieve if I start milling inhouse. Sometimes our expectations are beyond the possible. What sort of cost are the premilled blanks?

G

greener1031

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'm just trying to figure out what I can realistically achieve if I start milling inhouse. Sometimes our expectations are beyond the possible. What sort of cost are the premilled blanks?

B&D has blanks for under $40, I am sure prices range from 30-40 depending on volume etc. So if you charge 150 for custom abutment the blank cost is not significant. And remember, your dentist clients can often get higher reimbursement for custom abutments than for stock abutments. Modified stock abutments are not custom.
The abutment must be "patient specific", that is not usable for any other person. There is a specific insurance code for this procedure which can allow your doc to get more money.

Top Bottom