maxillofacial prosthodontics tech

amer84

amer84

Reaction score
I need information regarding maxillofacial prosth
what I need to start in my lab popcorn
materials, technology,training and slides if possible .

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
What is it you are looking to go into? I worked in a maxio clinic in 1974 making ocular prosthesis, some restoration of the external ear, nose, & such. That lab closed and most of the surgeons were getting prefabbed parts from off shore.
Or are you looking to go into prostetic limbs that is all FDA 510 stuff as I believe the cosmetic stuff I used to do is now. Back then we used something like an oversized denture flask for the vinyl parts, the eye was a ceramic blank & you shaped & stained & glazed the polygenic phenotypic character iris. I would think the techniques have changed since then. In the 1970's there was a maxiofacial reconstruction course and Chicago School of med, I only took 1 semester.
I would think in Europe they would have special schools for this field, not generally considered part of dentistry. I would check a school that trains plastic surgeons, and go from there.

amer84

amer84

Reaction score
I'm going to make maxillofacial
I need to know how to make
what the company which provide the materials and the equipment's I need
I need this information cuz I'm going to making an field clinic for the people who injured during the crisis in syria :(

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
If I knew where my old books were they would be in english. The techniques of 1970's would not be used today, you should contact plastic surgery school in Syria, or Germany, Japan has some terrific research in this area. . Request from them texts they may have it as an E-Book and that could be google transulated for yourself. Depending on materials they use would depend on equipment you will need. Maxiofacial you will only be able to do with a surgeon so ally yourself with them to learn their preferred system, I would not waste money until I learned the materials they wish to use. the old Vinyls, Pmma are process in one manner the silicone rubber compounds & Urethane materials require a different process.
It is a good thing to hope to help people, possibly start with limbs or even fitting prosthetic limbs for greater comfort and usefulness. Renew has some videos for such works. Renew Materials
I wish you the greatest of fortune in your humanitarian venture.
http://www.renewmaterials.com/videos.htm

Last edited:
lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Salam, Amer.
I applaud you effort to help your people as well. First principle, for me anyway, in medicine
and the medical arts, is First do no harm.
If you are not sure, creating something that can do more harm to the patient may not be doing them a favor.
I am a prosthodontist by training, and I would choose very carefully what maxillofacial prosth cases I manage
because I did not have more than a 2 month rotation in MD Anderson unlike those who stayed a year.
Without the benefit of a great surgeon, and maxillofacial prosthodontist to input how to manage
surgical outcomes, both you and patient will suffer in the long run.
I reckon contacting local and regional MFP trained prosthodontist who can give you a primer on
what is needed to rehabilitate the patients in the long run, like creating skin grafts to give you
literally a scar band to retain prosthesis, taking out bad teeth in line of fracture and rounding
sharp bony edges to spare the patients many months of discomfort. There are many such
US MFP trained prosth with Arabic/Farsi descent/heritage who can help you out. Let me know
if you need and I will try to find you some if they are not already involved.
Desperation is the mother of invention. Shoot for simple devices using temporary soft liners
like Coe-soft, Trusoft, Viscogel (British product/DeTrey/Dentsply) or Lynal (in the US); that can
stick to Acrylic or even Triad like material you can mold easily. The last thing you want is for a wound to be
stripped by hard acrylic and the patient not even knowing because the nerve has been severed.
Most important is not to get material mixed and stuck into a hole (fistula) and get stuck
inside an undercut, like alginate, etc becoming a source of infection. Again, look evaluate,
assess what can be done and what is priority. Stop hemorrhage/bleeding, prevent aspiration
of material into lung and if possible prevent fluids from going inside the nose.
Just my 2 cents worth. All the best.
LCM

amer84

amer84

Reaction score
thanks all
my work will be in the laboratory
the clinical stage will be controlled by professional prosthesist volunteers
so I need to know the laboratory procedures and a practical practice
you give my a big favor thank you for your Sympathy

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hi Amer,

Some of the basic equipment that would be needed to fabricate things such as nose, occular, ears, dental prosthesis would be a lathe and accesories (burs, grinding wheels, polishing wheels, pumice, highshine compound),pressure pot (to cure acrylic),self cure acrylics to match work being done, assortment of waxes (waxing tools, wax remover, tinfoil substitute),plaster, labstone. If you are truly out in the field i assume you'll have at least a generator for power and I wouldn't worry about much more in the way of equipment. I would go all self cure.
This would cover a lot of ground and be very difficult for you if you don't have much experience. I would rely on any doctor there to give you guidance. There are many instruction videos on youtube to help you out too.

PS.
I forgot to add press pack brass flasks and compress (look under denture supplies) and pour& cure flasks.

Last edited: