Maxillary zirconia and mandibular pmma for edentulous patients

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Hello,I'd like to know what you guys think about it. My customer told me that it could avoid the breakage of zirconia bridges and be good for patient's bone and jaw. He would check the pmma bridges every year and make a new pmma bridge to replace it if neccessary.
Is it the trend for edentulous implant?

Attachments

• pmma_20230615.jpg
    pmma_20230615.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 52
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hello,I'd like to know what you guys think about it. My customer told me that it could avoid the breakage of zirconia bridges and be good for patient's bone and jaw. He would check the pmma bridges every year and make a new pmma bridge to replace it if neccessary.
I use milled PMMA(TelioCAD usually) for my "diagnostic waxup" when I do full arch implant restorations. This allows the patient to wear the diagnostic for a few weeks so the doctor can dial in the occulsion and the patient can see if they are happy with the esthetics and function. I've had some patients wear these for over 6 months. I could see them lasting up to a year as long as they were properly cared for,

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, not sure about a trend, but it is being done. Maybe not necessarily with a 'PMMA', but with a hybrid over a ti-bar or similar, for example.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Yes, not sure about a trend, but it is being done. Maybe not necessarily with a 'PMMA', but with a hybrid over a ti-bar or similar, for example.
Right, they usually made a hybrid over the ti-bar

Attachments

• pmma_20230616082523.jpg
    pmma_20230616082523.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 42
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It is basically making a sacrificial arch one to be destroyed so the zirconia upper will stay nice.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I would use hybrid composite instead of PMMA, as PMMA is not meant to be long term. And of course I would use it over ti-bar.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
It is basically making a sacrificial arch one to be destroyed so the zirconia upper will stay nice.
Do you think if this is a practicable options compared to zirconia for both upper and lower jaw? They listed 3 main advantages:
•Control the wear to primarily the lower arch PMMA. (Lower arch is less aesthetically apparent and PMMA prostheses is easier to repair)
•Avoid high pitch sound created by two opposing zirconia prostheses during mastication
•Reduce the amount of stresses transmitted to the bone

Are these advantages above reasonable?

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
I would use hybrid composite instead of PMMA, as PMMA is not meant to be long term. And of course I would use it over ti-bar.
How about the abrasion between composite and zirconia? How often do you need to check the prostheses and take place it?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I don't know answer to that, but there might be some studies out there. Composite should be more wear resistant than PMMA.

M

Manikandan

Reaction score
Do you think if this is a practicable options compared to zirconia for both upper and lower jaw? They listed 3 main advantages:
•Control the wear to primarily the lower arch PMMA. (Lower arch is less aesthetically apparent and PMMA prostheses is easier to repair)
•Avoid high pitch sound created by two opposing zirconia prostheses during mastication
•Reduce the amount of stresses transmitted to the bone

Are these advantages above reasonable?
You are right; in addition patient do find composite or Pmma against zirconia comfortable to chew on vis a vis zirconia vs zirconia.

Top Bottom