Maryland Brigde

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Dr. would like me to make his daughter 2 bridges. She's missing #'s 7,10. Buuttt... He wants to make it by using veneers on the abutment teeth. In other words no lingual wing. So he wants a three unit bridge with labially retained veneers. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
What is her occlusion like?
That is real risky because the connector will be very thin.

If he does it make sure he knows it will probably fail and he will be making bridges.

Why not implants?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Resin, using some type of fiber core for strength....Why aren't implants considered here?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of us European decendents have that genetic flaw.
Usually skips a genereation. My son is missing #7.

We've done every combo of wing(s) pontics, but never a facial wing (veneer)

Sounds like a crazy fun idea! Lets go full gold! Just kidding, I say Zirconia.

Rob, you don't want me on your web-site huh? Oh well.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We don't hang out there anymore......we are here and DT or IDF......

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Resin, using some type of fiber core for strength....Why aren't implants considered here?

Often times with congenitally missing laterals, there are two complicating situations:
1.because there was never a tooth there in the first place the buccal plate is poorly placed and the bone insufficient to place a fixture.
2. the roots of the adjacent teeth tend to converge into the space where the fixture would need to go.
so what would seem like a slam dunk for implants usually winds up as an ortho followed by grafting before you can even get to placement.

I fail to see why the Dr thinks he's doing anyone any favors by not properly preparing for a maryland bridge. Honestly, buccal wings has nightmare written all over it.

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
I would not try this with Emax unless you make it quite clear that it could fail and that the Dr will be paying for remake

As Al said, the connectors are going to be way too thin if you want an aesthetic result.
If u try and thicken them, the bridge will probably look crap.

Lingual wing with seperate veneers maybe

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"Sounds like a crazy fun idea! Lets go full gold! Just kidding, I say Zirconia."

Gold would look better than zirconia and at least it would stay on!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My son and plenty of boys and girls are wearing my Zirconia winged bridges.

It's the best option for a crap situation. Will it require re-cementation?

Probably at some point.

These are young kids, still growing, Implant is not an option, adjacent teeth are healthy. Rich parents want kids to look like movie stars.

What's your answer? The kids hate flippers. You wanna cut the adjacent teeth and make conventional bridges? I would not do it to my healthy teeth.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
What's your answer? The kids hate flippers. You wanna cut the adjacent teeth and make conventional bridges? I would not do it to my healthy teeth.

I'd make them a Hawley retainer with a couple laterals in it.......that way they can look like the rest of their orthodontically treated friends until they are mature enough for implants.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"My son and plenty of boys and girls are wearing my Zirconia winged bridges."

Yes ,I've heard of 3M requiring your first born as a down payment.

However I don't think zirconia would look good on the labial surface which is what we are talking about here.

I agree with Lab Guy that a resin bonded restoration with fibre would be a good option in fact a bonded denture tooth is sometimes used on younger patients.

...Hey how about milled Vulcanite?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Well, This is what we decided on. No prep veneers on #'5 and 12. Prepped veneers on #'s 6,8,9,and 11. Pressed Maryland bridges for #s 7 and 10. I"m old school and do most my veneers on foil. The Maryland bridges are sort of "temporary" until she gets to be a few years older. She's eighteen now.

The stump shade is A1 and she would like a OM3. I thought I would press a MO1 and overlay with a bleach shade and keep my fingers crossed that it all blends.

I've never pressed a Maryland bridge before. I'm thinking one sprue on the facial to keep the flow in one direction. Any tips or tricks I should be aware of ?

I press in a Whip Mix at about seven minutes. My buddy just bought the Ivoclar unit and says its tops. Any thoughts on that oven? I'm not in the market yet but I have two Whip Mix pressing ovens that are 10 years plus.

Thanks, Rick

Top Bottom