Loosening Screw Retained Crown

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Screw retained zirconia crown with Keystone implant system loosened in patient twice after 3 weeks each time.
Tooth #31, # 32 missing, opposing #2 and 3. Implant position centered Mesial/Distal under #2 and to lingual of B/L center.
Dentist complained how this has never happened. After discussion she had not read or followed implant system instructions for use. Over torqued and using incorrect driver head both times. Per her request I sent a new screw which she didn't use.
Dentist returned crown and wanted refund.

Any thoughts?

Ken

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Screw retained zirconia crown with Keystone implant system loosened in patient twice after 3 weeks each time.
Tooth #31, # 32 missing, opposing #2 and 3. Implant position centered Mesial/Distal under #2 and to lingual of B/L center.
Dentist complained how this has never happened. After discussion she had not read or followed implant system instructions for use. Over torqued and using incorrect driver head both times. Per her request I sent a new screw which she didn't use.
Dentist returned crown and wanted refund.

Any thoughts?

Ken
Doc is a moron?

We have two patients that are long distance runners. Cement retained crowns. Screws keep loosening on both of them. Made screw retained crowns, new screws, not over torqued and the IFU followed.
Both patients come in for tightening from time to time. Two different implant systems. Weird. One of the guys I work with has a theory that it has something to do with the running as it is the only common denominator.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Tough one Ken...I swear this business will turn you into a alcoholic.

If it was me, I'm a huge on not ever trying to burn a bridge but I'd probably have to make a phone call. I'd explain I'm having a hard time eating this bill because she didn't use the new screw, probably didn't verify occlusion, etc. etc. etc. However, she probably won't take your call and won't return your call. Therefore, if she doesn't return your call, I'm not sure I'd refund the money. However, I'd pull the old script, and document the date/time in chronograph order of what was said and done. Then again, you're probably going to eat it, refund, and wipe your hands clean of the situation. Sleep on it and decide tomorrow :)...after that cold one!!!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I've seen a few screw loosenings on butt connection platforms mostly, when the adjacent teeth were missing. Re-torquing after a half an hour usually helps...an essix with a PMMA temp for the missing adjacent(s) also helps.. keeping things stable.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Send a bill for the crown with the instructions for the implant system stapled to it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Is she local to you? If she is, do you care that she's going to tell every other Dr. in your county how badly you've treated her?
If you aren't going to continue doing her work it mostly comes down to how much is your good name worth.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Is she local to you? If she is, do you care that she's going to tell every other Dr. in your county how badly you've treated her?
If you aren't going to continue doing her work it mostly comes down to how much is your good name worth.

Sounds like Robs name gets around his town :p

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I had to write a letter explaining why we were not going to provide a refund due to certain omissions to the proper protocols.
I documented each step and pointed out where the problems occured.

Writing this type of letter with the future court case in mind seemed to do the trick.