3i encode crown?

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
I received this impression today with the original one piece screw retained crown instead of an impression transfer coping, dentist didn't do the original and didn't take an ex-ray so now I need to play detective. Pretty sure this is a 3i encode abutment but just to be sure... Any other guesses?

It has an approximately 5.5mm platform and the hex head is 2.8mm while the tip of the abutment to the bottom of the platform is 4.5mm and there are 5 metal tabs on the tip of the abutment. The dentist also removed what looks like a longer goldtite screw and sent it along with the case.

This implant crown is 15mm from mesial to distal, that is a very long crown. Not sure that the milled titanium blocks would be large enough to give the porcelain good support?

If this is a 3i encode are there options other than milled titanium? Zirconia perhaps? I am waiting to hear back from 3i but you guys are way faster.

Attachments

• IMG_20171011_115949.jpg
    IMG_20171011_115949.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20171011_122119.jpg
    IMG_20171011_122119.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20171011_145410.jpg
    IMG_20171011_145410.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 73
DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Yellow 3i is a 5.0
Yes it is 3i - here are some options -
For Zirconia -
ti base with final screw and wax up sleeve- make a zirconia crown screw retained- FDA approved - $39
https://www.dess-usa.com/ti-base-engaging-5-0-16-016/
if you have angulation issues and need the screw on the lingual side then we have an angled screw chanel ti base with screw - FDA approved - $39
https://www.dess-usa.com/aurum-base-engaging-5-0-37-016-3i-certain-compatible/

Regular cementable abutment-
we also have regular straight abutments with 2mm collars comes with a final screw- FDA approved - $69
https://www.dess-usa.com/straight-abutment-5-0-13016/

We have other components based on the restoration you desire (all plastic abutment , chrome cobalt if you want to cast) and premills if you want to mill out a custom titanium abutment....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I received this impression today with the original one piece screw retained crown instead of an impression transfer coping, dentist didn't do the original and didn't take an ex-ray so now I need to play detective. Pretty sure this is a 3i encode abutment but just to be sure... Any other guesses?

It has an approximately 5.5mm platform and the hex head is 2.8mm while the tip of the abutment to the bottom of the platform is 4.5mm and there are 5 metal tabs on the tip of the abutment. The dentist also removed what looks like a longer goldtite screw and sent it along with the case.

This implant crown is 15mm from mesial to distal, that is a very long crown. Not sure that the milled titanium blocks would be large enough to give the porcelain good support?

If this is a 3i encode are there options other than milled titanium? Zirconia perhaps? I am waiting to hear back from 3i but you guys are way faster.
the interface is called a 3i Certain. You didn't get the impression done in a way to make an encode. Just need the analog, mate it up to the post in the impression, wrap with gingival simulation material from the impression material to just past the interface of the two.

Encode impressions have no implant parts at all in them, it is just an impression of a circle/partial sphere with specific dents and mark shapes to indicate rotation, height of the plastic thing that made the dent in the impresssions, etc.

Was that too much? Was that enough?

Lab toys start on page 7
http://www.biomet3i.com/resource Center/Brochures/The Certain Implant System Ordering Information_ART1048.pdf

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Oh, the gold screws for 3i are ONLY for using when the dentist does the final seating and torquing down. If you order from 3i, make sure that they have down that you want the gold screw because unless they changed it in the last 2 years, you have to order it separately. $50 screw. Sheesh.

Get lab screws also if you don't have any. They are made of a different material, and don't... Oh brother. If you need it, here: http://dentallabnetwork.com/resources/implant-primer.12/

Edit: not trying to be insulting, just don't remember how much you know.

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
Yellow 3i is a 5.0
Yes it is 3i - here are some options -
For Zirconia -
ti base with final screw and wax up sleeve- make a zirconia crown screw retained- FDA approved - $39
https://www.dess-usa.com/ti-base-engaging-5-0-16-016/
if you have angulation issues and need the screw on the lingual side then we have an angled screw chanel ti base with screw - FDA approved - $39
https://www.dess-usa.com/aurum-base-engaging-5-0-37-016-3i-certain-compatible/

Regular cementable abutment-
we also have regular straight abutments with 2mm collars comes with a final screw- FDA approved - $69
https://www.dess-usa.com/straight-abutment-5-0-13016/

We have other components based on the restoration you desire (all plastic abutment , chrome cobalt if you want to cast) and premills if you want to mill out a custom titanium abutment....

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! Muchly appreciated! I am in Canada so I need CSA approved and the dentist requested original manufacturer parts even though he didn't know who the manufacturer is so I order from 3i.

Last edited:
denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
Oh, the gold screws for 3i are ONLY for using when the dentist does the final seating and torquing down. If you order from 3i, make sure that they have down that you want the gold screw because unless they changed it in the last 2 years, you have to order it separately. $50 screw. Sheesh.

Get lab screws also if you don't have any. They are made of a different material, and don't... Oh brother. If you need it, here: http://dentallabnetwork.com/resources/implant-primer.12/

Edit: not trying to be insulting, just don't remember how much you know.
No offense taken, I have almost four decades of experience but I have not seen this implant base before and as the impression didn't have an impression transfer coping and no information on the RX or ex-rays I just needed some feed back to get it figured out. So I ordered a lab analog, a one piece UCLA abutment for a screw retained implant crown and a goldtite screw from my local 3i territory representative.

Thanks for your help and input, I appreciate it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
3i platform for sure.
praise god it was an encode nightmare!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
No offense taken, I have almost four decades of experience but I have not seen this implant base before and as the impression didn't have an impression transfer coping and no information on the RX or ex-rays I just needed some feed back to get it figured out. So I ordered a lab analog, a one piece UCLA abutment for a screw retained implant crown and a goldtite screw from my local 3i territory representative.

Thanks for your help and input, I appreciate it.
Your welcome.

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
Make sure you bill accordingly for the time you spent doing the docs homework, even if you got your answers here.
Ya no kidding, I agree! These questionable cases cost me alot of time and if I don't call it right I end up paying for parts that I might never end up using so there goes my profits! Then we get the question, why is it so expensive?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Consider adding donation under the "Sponsor" tab . . .
LCM

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score

if you have a doctor that is open minded to aftermarket health canada approved parts then in Canada check out Abutments International
[email protected]
Office: 647 352 7011
416 992 9830

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I believe they automatically include the gold screw. Make sure you a working screw also. But ask to be sure.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
The last I check, any gold screw is extra charge from 3i itself. They may include but not sure if they will bill you separately, so you know what to tell your client because cannot imagine anyone
giving away gold screws.
LCM

doug

doug

Reaction score
The screw is now included, the price for the abutment reflects the fee for the screw. The screws are Titanium with a Gold coat. I doubt they are much different than the lab screws.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand this correctly - the gold-tite screw is included, because you are ordering
an Encode custom abutment, right?
Are they including the GoldTitie for their prefab abutments too?
LCM

D

DRkazoo066

Reaction score

Hello! This is a 6mm Biomet final abutment. You can tell a genuine Biomet abutment because they have "fingers" that engage into the internal hex of the implant. Looks like you were sent an abutment level impression. The Biomet Encode healing collar is a 3-in-1 system (healing collar/impression post/scan body). They will not have those fingers. They do have markings on the occlusal surface to indicate to 3i the angulation, hex orientation, etc of the implant so they can mill the custom abutment. Google search "Encode Empowered Laboratories" to see about 100 options of labs that have flat-fee pricing for an Encode case! There are some labs that have really great pricing for the custom abutment, screw and crown all included. Biomet ALWAYS includes the gold tite screw in encode cases unless the lab or clinician indicates specifically they should not send it. The gold on the screw provides extra clamping force when torqued to 20ncm vs a regular titanium screw to ensure you do not have micro movement or micro leakage of the abutment, and longevity of implant success. When you order Biomet stock abutments, the screws are sold separately unless you are ordering a non-engaging UCLA abutment (they provide a larger diameter gold screw in this situation). When it comes to aftermarket components, the warranty on your implant and case will be voided if used. When you stick with their genuine parts, Zimmer Biomet will cover the implant failure with a new implant, restorative components, and they also cover a portion of lab bills on your cases with certain implants from their line. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

D

DRkazoo066

Reaction score
Sorry 5mm****

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
I am chimming in on DRkazoo066 post since there is some incorrect information-

1. EVERY implant has micro movements regardless of who you use so to write " that you ensure you do not have micromovements" is false.

2. As for voiding the warranty many of the aftermarket component companies, including mine, provide the same level of warranty as the manufacturer. If we did not believe in our parts we would not offer this same level.

The implant companies continue to sell based on fear uncertainty and doubt (FUD) brainwashing their users into believing their rhetoric. You have viable, cost effective, and highly successful restorative options available to you today.