Looking for some ideas...

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Just added a new Wieland Hybrid mill which will be dedicated to eMax. Have a another one dedicated to dry milling. Also, have two small VHF mills - one wet and one dry; and an MP3500 3D printer. Right now, they are scattered all over the lab. Would like to consolidate into one room. Would like any suggestions - dos and don'ts. Also, if you have any pictures of your facility that you would be willing to share, that would be really helpful. Thanks...

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Don't put the Printer in with the milling machines...the dust will eat it alive.

Read the manual on each of the machines to see how/where they need to be.

I know the printer manual says how it should be away from other machines.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Yeah - I kinda figured that with the printer...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
insert ' you're gonna need a bigger boat" meme here:

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Separate rooms...separate power supply...separate

etc2.jpg

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
When I help my buddy build his digital department I told him each mill has its own dedicated breaker 20A should do. Then I told him next to each of the mills plugs to have another dedicated 20A breaker for the Vacuum and Cam PC. To play it safe give each unit it's own breaker and same for the printer. But like Kent said keep the printer in another room cause Zr dust is nasty to electronis and just to play it safe. You don't want a breaker to pop and a mill to shut down because you didn't do it the right way. My buddy didn't listen then a week later is calling me saying when they are pressing emax bot the press oven and one mill go out, all because he didn't listen to me and told the electrician the wrong thing. Had to pay to have them fix it. And make sure they are all on sturdy tables.

Here is his setup.
20151117_204259.jpg 20151117_204307.jpg 20151117_204350.jpg

Computers have moved since to the top of each mill for ease bur changes. And He is adding a DWX-50 in the back corner already pre wired and plumbed with air ready to go.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
insert ' you're gonna need a bigger boat" meme here:
Ok
06f0333ec7a4d90860770b4c3c53d145.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Like I said....the manual will give you the requirements needed for each machine. Once you've figured out all

of the machine requirements, that's when you plan out the layout and get the electrician in. :D

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
In a perfect world, here is what I would want.

1) Put the mills on dedicated 220 lines.
2) Consider a room that has its own air compressor dedicated specifically to the mills,
3) If this room has ac/heat return to the main make sure you have the best heppa filter system for the return and invest in an air purifying system that will turn the air over in the room quickly.
4) Central vac system "located on an external wall" with electronic waste gates for each mill triggered by the 24volt lead.
5) Cam/Design stations located outside of this room, CNC software run on Laptops or Tablets for each mill
6) Sintering ovens outside this room
7) Colorizing outside this room
8) Plumb floor/sink/trap for easy disposal of hydro fluid

Let me know how you get along with the milling the glass

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
John,

It sounds like you have some ideas that may/may not come with experience. Ha.

It's like you'd want to do it that way if you had a chance to do it all over again. Haha.

Great ideas and I totally agree!

#learnedthehardway

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Kent, you are right, many of the items I have working in my lab as I state, many I wish I could implement. If I ever build another lab it will include a bunch of other "Lab hacks". The cost of expansion and or preparing for growth is the most expensive lesson I have paid. Its so much less money to plan rather than retrofit.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm having the electrician in tomorrow and having a dedicated compressor coming on Friday.

Its funny - I'm retrofitting my old ceramic department. Used to have 8 people sitting in there. Now its just me...

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
In a perfect world, here is what I would want.

1) Put the mills on dedicated 220 lines.
2) Consider a room that has its own air compressor dedicated specifically to the mills,
3) If this room has ac/heat return to the main make sure you have the best heppa filter system for the return and invest in an air purifying system that will turn the air over in the room quickly.
4) Central vac system "located on an external wall" with electronic waste gates for each mill triggered by the 24volt lead.
5) Cam/Design stations located outside of this room, CNC software run on Laptops or Tablets for each mill
6) Sintering ovens outside this room
7) Colorizing outside this room
8) Plumb floor/sink/trap for easy disposal of hydro fluid

Let me know how you get along with the milling the glass

In a perfect world, that'
s your world bro, guaranteed this is how your setup is. LOL

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm having the electrician in tomorrow and having a dedicated compressor coming on Friday.

Its funny - I'm retrofitting my old ceramic department. Used to have 8 people sitting in there. Now its just me...
Don't forget a dryer on the compressor so your mills don't seize up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Don't forget surge protectors for your very expensive equipment. I lost a PC that controlled an IMES 450i during a thunderstorm, very costly mistake. Not only had to buy a new PC, but we were down for over a week waiting for a technician to fly out set the calibrations on the machine.

Top Bottom