Locator seating issue

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Hi All

Just after some help with a locator case.
This is the first implant case i have done so go easy on me :)

The issue i am having is after luting the Locators to the frame in the mouth, the locator on the left side (25) just wont engage when i try it back in.

Ive used the white blockout spacer things, seated the locator over abutment ensuring it clicks into place, Mixed up Duralay and seated the frame in the mouth. I luted the 14 first.
After doing the 14, i confirmed the frame clicked into place nicely which it did.

I then did the exact same thing for the 25 and have now tried it 3 times with the same result each time.

After letting the Duralay set it seems the retention is fantastic as its quite difficult to get the frame out.

But once i place it back in just to verify the fit, it always the same. Left side no longers clicks into place. It just sort of drops out.

I am wondering whether it has to do with the height of the implant. I believe they realy should be at gum level which the 14 is, the 25 is around 3mm above on the buccal side.

I tried extra white blockouts over the 25 but still same result

I know my initial Impression isnt great but once i get the frame luted nicely to the locators the plan is to do a nice pickup impression.

Would it make any difference if i was to remove both locators and do the 25 first? then the 14.

I guess whats confusing me, is i would have thought that luting the locators in the mouth in theory they should just click on anf off nicely.

It clicks perfectly both sides on the model. Just not in mouth even though i luted them in the mouth

I have ordered in some of the extended range just incase the 25 is angled too much.

Should i just process and finish the denture then place an extended range one in that side? or if it does not click into place now with the black processing ones in the mouth with just the frame, will it still be the same on insert ??

Anyway any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• Roger Stanley.jpg
    Roger Stanley.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Roger Stanley1.jpg
    Roger Stanley1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 44
G

grantoz

Reaction score
your locators arnt parallel so you need to use the locators that only engage the outside of the female part.Its a bit like only getting to 1st base after having all that friction to hold it in .But sometimes its the only way to make it work .once you pull the denture out you cant get the male parts in because of the under cuts on your locators not been parallel.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Make sure you drill a vent hole to allow air to escape and not cause a hydraulic effect.

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. It certainly makes sense.

I have also had 2 seperate guys tell me to lute the connectors to the frame on the model not in the mouth. It seems in the mouth it is very easy to apply too much pressure to the area.

My plan is to retake the impression, lute connectors to frame on new model and then try in again to see.

I may also look at using a green extended range for the 25.

Cheers
Tony

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Extended range is a band-aid for the placement and will help many cases but the attachment will wear quickly and need to be replaced often.

The cuff height on the tall abutment could be improved with a shorter variety but you and I know that's not going to happen.

When picking these up in the mouth, when I have a tall abutment, like Danny said I use a vent hole and I use PVS impression material to block out UNDER the attachment down to the tissue.. You can also use a punch and dental dam and cut 2 small pieces to make some room.

Really important not to process acrylic in close contact with the abutment all you want is the housing encapsulated in acrylic and relieved around everything else.

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Extended range is a band-aid for the placement and will help many cases but the attachment will wear quickly and need to be replaced often.

The cuff height on the tall abutment could be improved with a shorter variety but you and I know that's not going to happen.

When picking these up in the mouth, when I have a tall abutment, like Danny said I use a vent hole and I use PVS impression material to block out UNDER the attachment down to the tissue.. You can also use a punch and dental dam and cut 2 small pieces to make some room.

Really important not to process acrylic in close contact with the abutment all you want is the housing encapsulated in acrylic and relieved around everything else.

Thanks John

I now have some good solutions to get this case up and running :)

I have him back tonight so time will tell

Cheers everyone