Lava Ultimate on Origin Mill

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Anyone tried milling Lava ultimate using the eMax milling strategy.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I would imagine you would want to be using tools smaller than 1mm, since the material is so soft, and you are milling 1:1 ratio. I'm guessing your eMax strategy stops at 1mm. Right?

You'd be using carbide and not diamonds, right? Plenty of coolant?

Use PMMA strategy with smallest tool on internal surface? .5-.7mm ball

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Provided that Lava Ultimate is packaged for CEREC like eMax - in block form - the only strategy that might work on the Origin mill would be that of eMax. Currently, as far as I know, you have to purchase the eMax blocks that are made to fit the Kavo Everest system. Wasn't sure if the conventional CEREC block holder could be modified to allow seating into the Origin eMax jig.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Of course you can invent a way to hold whatever material wherever you want, and mill it!

Or, if you have open CAM, you simply move your material coordinants (raw curves) to match what you have in the milling chamber. We move things around often. It is a wee-bit tricky, and you may want to "Ghost-Mill" a few times, or practice on softer materials just in case you slam down on a tool. Whoops!

Bar of soap? Piece of foam? Chunk of soft wax?

Piece of Hubba-Bubba bubble gum? (just kidding, but that's what eMax reminds me of)

a1.bp.blogspot.com__7P37NqWJVlM_SYCcNlO8a8I_AAAAAAAABsc_8rNkoNdc30c270bff9f4e22dcdd9946f7b5660.jpg
a1.bp.blogspot.com__7P37NqWJVlM_SYCcNlO8a8I_AAAAAAAABsc_8rNkoNdc30c270bff9f4e22dcdd9946f7b5660.jpg

Last edited:
REJ

REJ

Reaction score
Milling it as emax is much slower than necessary. The material can typically be milled at 3x the speed as it is very chip resistant. Burr wear is more like zirconia green state than emax.

Last edited:
R

RJS8669

Reaction score
The block is smaller...

than the eMax blocks, so I assumed the current eMax tooling strategy won't work. Have you tried it?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
eMax is a Grinding strategy that mills from the sides inward.

It is very unique cutting style with diamonds.

I'd cut Lava Ulti with carbides from the top down in a more conventional Milling strategy, and not grinding.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Makes sense to use carbides.

I find diamonds are useless on resin based materials.

Top Bottom