Lava Ultamate

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I have been saying for over a decade that resin is the ideal material, but until we can get the newer generation materials reclassified as a "ceramic" or make a new class of materials from a reimbursement standpoint, it's still just an overpriced temporary, or indirect resin.

I want to be the Dominos of dental labs, and this will be the kind of material to get us there.

Hopefully 3M will only make it available to Lava labs (and Cerec of course, since it's already available to them) but they are not the company they used to be......

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I sat on on the presentation. Very cool. If you go to B&Ds website, you can see a video of how the prep guide works.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have been saying for over a decade that resin is the ideal material, but until we can get the newer generation materials reclassified as a "ceramic" or make a new class of materials from a reimbursement standpoint, it's still just an overpriced temporary, or indirect resin.

In a way I agree with you however I see the issue in terms of temporary or permanent.

If a temp lasts 10 years then is it overpriced.Is it still a temp?

Everything we make is temporary,even permanent crowns that are replaced because of various reasons. Is a retrievable screw retained implant crown a temp?

I know it's from a reimbursment standpoint and maybe a new class of material based on it's use as well as it's composition would have to be addressed.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks ,that was cool.

Prepping for a crown will be the big one.

D

department19972

Reaction score
I asked a 3M rep about the claim of 78% zirconia. The material is 78% by weight, not volume...misleading, as zirconia is much heavier than composite. Relates to a large container of feathers with a couple steel ball bearings - that too is largely ball bearings by weight. Insurance will cover this restoration as a "composite" restoration, not all-ceramic, much lower reimbursement for the doc. Rather stay with LD.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
... The material is 78% by weight, not volume...misleading, as zirconia is much heavier than composite. Relates to a large container of feathers with a couple steel ball bearings...

Curious to see a gram of ZR next to a gram of Resin.

rex
------

Mike2

Mike2

Donator
Reaction score
Mark,
I sat in on Jensen's program and I believe Dr. Fasbinder mentioned it would be a new classification of NANO-CERAMIC. I am sure you would be in the know if there was a new classification, so let us know. I may have misunderstood him as it was very dark and I was still trying to relax my nerve from a 4.5 hr. drive there in 6-9 inches of wet slushy snow(usually a three hr drive). Anyhow the studies at Mich. seem promising for this material and as Mark said, resins are the future. My 2 cents

R

RJS

Reaction score
Just returned from Jensen training on the table-top mill. I was told Ultimate has been classified as an All Ceramic restoration for insurance purposes. BTW - Lava Plus looks pretty good. And, Jensen has convinced 3M to work with them on pricing a 20 block @ $18.50 after rebate, so you should be able to position LP as a premium FCZ only marginally more expensive than Bruxzir. I hate the whole rebate thing - just sell it to me at the after-rebate price - but, at least its a move in the right direction...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
After a week of playing with Lava Plus stains...I really like them!

The whole coupon/discount/rebate thing makes me pissed off. Don't know why?

D

department19972

Reaction score
RJS - who told you that ultimate has been classified as and all-ceramic resotration? Hard to believe it considering the low amount of zirconia by volume that the material contains. The high amount that 3M claims is by weight, and i know how much heavier Zr is over composite.

Just returned from Jensen training on the table-top mill. I was told Ultimate has been classified as an All Ceramic restoration for insurance purposes. BTW - Lava Plus looks pretty good. And, Jensen has convinced 3M to work with them on pricing a 20 block @ $18.50 after rebate, so you should be able to position LP as a premium FCZ only marginally more expensive than Bruxzir. I hate the whole rebate thing - just sell it to me at the after-rebate price - but, at least its a move in the right direction...

Top Bottom