lab slips

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
how long should one keep the lab slips from completed cases? it has come in handy for me to have them when a doctor insists that i made an appliance wrong, or better yet, doesn't want to pay because they swear that they don't have a patient by that name and never ordered work for them...but is there any use to keeping them beyond a couple of months? is there any sort of law or regulation? :)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yep, FDA compliance and most state laws require 2 years. I've heard some state require 5 years, but I don't know who they are, the ones I've been to is only 2 years.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I hold mine 5 years, don't ask me why..... Seems like you are suppose to hold for 3.... many years ago.....

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
2 years is the average. I'm considering scanning mine in for data base retrieval. Anybody have luck with that?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have them from about 24 years ago. all in the closet in boxes, by year. I could scan them into the Labnet software and shred the originals but that doesn't seem to be an option right now. I have never had anyone ask to see the stored ones, nor have I had to retrieve more than about 5 in my career to verify information.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The reason to keep them, as I understand it, is that if you get sued, you aren't liable as long as you followed the prescription. You need the prescription to prove that. Rob

Top Bottom