Katana vs zolid

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
I have used the zolid FX multi, I like it a lot. I haven’t purchased the liquids yet and before commiting to a new “system” I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from people who know the difference between the Katana and Zolid as a whole. I do cases from single posteriors up to large cosmetic Hybrid zirconia cases where esthetics are very important and I want to spend my money where It makes the most sense. Thanks for any help you might offer
Gary G

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
zolid fx multi is nice, I have had much better results hand coloring nexxzr+. Havent tried katana so I wont comment, but Ive heard people mention its hard to color. The ceramill colors are nice and so are changs.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I don't believe in 'commiting' to one product. They all look slightly different; not all patients teeth are best matched with one material. When I don't get to see the patient, I 99% of the time use Katana STML. I was recently told by a new account that my work is impeccable. Ill take that! :cool: When I need to alter some and don't want to rely on just stains, Origin beyond Plus colors work great with the STML...and it doesn't take much. My only compaints are the B-1 and A-1 are slightly low in value, and the bleach NW shade is like a OM3, so hitting brighter bleach shades needs layering.
Im doing an A-1 right now, so Ill be supplying the Dr with both an STML and a Lava Plus. The Lava is much brighter on the cervical but needs layered inc.
Limited room? Jensen XT colored with Origin.

I stock 5 different Zrs. You cant be a carpenter with just a hammer.

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
I don't believe in 'commiting' to one product. They all look slightly different; not all patients teeth are best matched with one material. When I don't get to see the patient, I 99% of the time use Katana STML. I was recently told by a new account that my work is impeccable. Ill take that! :cool: When I need to alter some and don't want to rely on just stains, Origin beyond Plus colors work great with the STML...and it doesn't take much. My only compaints are the B-1 and A-1 are slightly low in value, and the bleach NW shade is like a OM3, so hitting brighter bleach shades needs layering.
Im doing an A-1 right now, so Ill be supplying the Dr with both an STML and a Lava Plus. The Lava is much brighter on the cervical but needs layered inc.
Limited room? Jensen XT colored with Origin.

I stock 5 different Zrs. You cant be a carpenter with just a hammer.
Yes I agree. I use Zirkonzahn, CAP FZ, Dental Direct, ceramill, and have used others. I am only interested at this time in comparing these 2systems, understanding how the liquids work and thoughts people have about them. That’s why I started the thread the way I did. Next year some other Zirconia will be on the market that will change the way I approach it, but for now I’m interested in comparing ceramill zolid and Katana from the HT to the UHT products. They are both exceptional products but I’m sure there are people who have more experience with them in there own daily use so I’m hoping for specific info Taylored to this thread.
Thanks!
Gary

user name

user name

Reaction score
Yes I agree. I use Zirkonzahn, CAP FZ, Dental Direct, ceramill, and have used others. I am only interested at this time in comparing these 2systems, understanding how the liquids work and thoughts people have about them. That’s why I started the thread the way I did. Next year some other Zirconia will be on the market that will change the way I approach it, but for now I’m interested in comparing ceramill zolid and Katana from the HT to the UHT products. They are both exceptional products but I’m sure there are people who have more experience with them in there own daily use so I’m hoping for specific info Taylored to this thread.
Thanks!
Gary
Theyre both precolored, so unless its an odd situation, that's not something youll be doing.

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
Thanks for direct to email replies, the information was very helpful and I confident about how to move forward. Just for everyone else who didn't get a chance to see the direct emails in this thread. Katana and Zolid are both excellent choices for esthetic cases from single posteriors milled from the most translucent material up to the strongest material that each provide. There definitely seems to be a need for a discussion on liquids. I have the Dental Direct liquids the Zirkonzahn Aquarell Liquids and the Cermamill liquids and on this particular blog there is a lot of discussion regarding the Chang liquids. Please try to be as technical and specific as possible moving forward and keep the posts on the thread rather than direct to email so there will be a record for future users.
Thanks
Gary

user name

user name

Reaction score
Gee, thanks for telling us how to handle our responses. :confused:
You asked about Katana and Zolid FX multi. Why are you including talk about liquids? These are both pre-colored Zrs and generally don't require liquids.

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
Actually if you read my initial post, I wrote that I have used the FX multi, but I am interested in hearing about both systems as a whole. As a whole I meant and further elaborated that I wanted to know about the various materials offered in each system. I am reasonably knoweldgable with both but I dont have a ton of experience with either "system" and by "system" I mean all offerings from the lower trans/ strong 1100 plus in each to the lower 500 to 770 mpa for singles. Im not in competion with you Im only trying to get peoples honest opinion. Please don't read any tone in my posting. Im Just a tech on the journey here

user name

user name

Reaction score
Gottcha. That changes everything. Katana...STML is a money maker. Their ML strong stuff is a complete turd.

Simply carrying the same brand name doesn't qualify as a 'system' in my mind. They have different sinter temps, so its just another zr to me.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
I know who you are Gary, and Ive seen some of your work. It seems funny youre here asking. Yove done some killer cases; share with us what you've used and really liked please.

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
Thank you!! I have a case I’m almost finished with and when I’m done I’ll upload some pics

user name

user name

Reaction score
Looks like you used Aquarell colors?

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I'm using Ceramill... we love the Zolid Fx ML. I even play with the colour, even though it's pre-stained...
Tried Katana ML... was not amazed by it at all... But it is my opinion.
Wanna try the Katana STML which is same strength as the Zolid Fx. I know user name loves it, and always say good things about it. :)
What good for me in the Zolid FX ML is that they have all the shades. The Katana STML doesn't (or maybe I am not up to date with it)
Compare these 2 'system'? You have to see how they look like, know their strength, and YOU decide which one to use for the case.
I like to try "new" zirconias, play with it... and see the results. And I use other liquid too on the ceramill zircoia, still nice.

user name

user name

Reaction score
STML is missing D-4. I try to place them as near the incisal side of the puck and lightly add some yellow to the ging.

This thread is suspicious. For those that don't know, Gary (the OP) is one of the top techs in the Country IMO. Seems weird he wants to know whats popular with the monkeys.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
STML is missing D-4. I try to place them as near the incisal side of the puck and lightly add some yellow to the ging.

This thread is suspicious. For those that don't know, Gary (the OP) is one of the top techs in the Country IMO. Seems weird he wants to know whats popular with the monkeys.
why is that weird to you?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

Monkey?...a banana does sound good right now, a beer sounds better though. Thanks, now i'm hungry and thirsty.

I use Katana (pre-shaded),nice stuff, wish I could use it more but it's not nearly as strong as the regular zirconia.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
maybe he is separated from whoever was helping him keep in the loop. maybe his current best manufacturer of product is coming up short and letting him down and out of desperation he is reaching out.

then again he may just be trying to gauge industry normal to see where he might lie on the curve.

talented and educated people didnt get there alone. like you user, you got to where you are not just by yourself but learning from all the other people and contributions both from here and elsewhere, and you put it all to your own sniff test.

quite possibly this is also whats happening. sniff testing.