Is this thing dead?

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
It's seized up. Can it be a simple fix. Should I just get new, not worth the time?

image.jpeg

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
It has to be real easy for me to fix if possible. I tried the switch a couple of times after it stopped. Saw a small puff of smoke. Uh Oh. So I quit messing with it.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Dose the motor turn?. I still use mine it's old but runs fantastic because I tune it up every few years.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Dose the motor turn?. I still use mine it's old but runs fantastic because I tune it up every few years.[/QUOTE

The splines are pretty recent on it. Don't know if it will turn. Don't know how to work on it with out help. Thought I'd ask here because I didn't think whip mix helped on these any more.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It is a general electric motor. Check the label for the model number. You will be able to get the brushes for a few bucks from an electric motor repair shop or online.

Sort of a pain to put the motor back together after replacing the brushes, but worth it.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
It is a general electric motor. Check the label for the model number. You will be able to get the brushes for a few bucks from an electric motor repair shop or online.

Sort of a pain to put the motor back together after replacing the brushes, but worth it.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I see the screws on top are loose?, there are a couple of issues:
1- if the motor runs but no suction, it means the centrifugal suction fins on top are stuck and need to be taken apart to clean and lubricate.
2- if the motor dose not run, it means a blown fuse on the machine if any or as mentioned before a bad carbon brushes. or the motor itself is bad.
Tighten the screws on top and try the motor first, if carbon brushes are needed you can try to find similar brushes from car electrical repair shop.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
1- if the motor runs but no suction, it means the centrifugal suction fins on top are stuck and need to be taken apart to clean and lubricate.
2- if the motor dose not run, it means a blown fuse on the machine if any or as mentioned before a bad carbon brushes. or the motor itself is bad.
Tighten the screws on top and try the motor first, if carbon brushes are needed you can try to find similar brushes from car electrical repair shop.

Yes, I took the top off to have a look and left the screws loose. I've never had it apart more than that. Sounds like I need to try brush rout first.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
2th we think the same, it's scary :)

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
first try the motor before changing brushes:(

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
2th we think the same, it's scary :)
You should be scared, it's dark in my mind.

Could be the switch as well. Just as much of a pain as changing the brushes.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
You should be scared, it's dark in my mind.

Could be the switch as well. Just as much of a pain as changing the brushes.
These motors last years before something goes wrong and fairly easy to fix.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
These motors last years before something goes wrong and fairly easy to fix.
I bought one from a lab that went out of business 20 years ago. The serial number was 2. It still ran great. A few years later I had to get some new gears for it. Changed the brushes, switch, and the vanes. Gave it to an office I worked with that poured their own hydrocolloid impressions. It is still working AFAIK.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I still use mine for more than 26 years

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

Yeah, we used to do the # 1 option. One thing you have to watch with these models is whether the pipe stem is getting lubricant to the head and the vanes. Occasionally we would just pull the hose off of the metal hose barb and let the vacuum suck a few drops of oil in for added protection.

Personally, I think I would part with it and get a Renfert. There is a safety concern with these older models. Ive heard of people getting their fingers caught up in those spinning shafts. That problem has been eliminated with the newer versions. Damaged hands cost a lot more than a new model trimmer.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
May be the switch that fried. Thought you can override the switch just by sticking the bowl up in the shaft?
I upgraded to a Renfert Twister couple of years ago!

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
IT LIVES !!!!! Called whipmix. Suggested a little tlc. Sprayed WD40 in top, tried to lightly sand spline walls with small grit paper, cleaned and replaced splines(dipped in same oil for unit),twisted drive some by hand using a paddle from a bowl. When it turned freely, plugged it in and it purred like a kitten. Thanks all for the input.