Insulating putty.

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for the best insulating putty or pvs for processing. Any suggestion. Trying to capture the most mynute details. Thanks

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Gene-
Most PVS puttys are made at the same factory and just relabeled.
Look at shore hardness and lean toward 85. It will allow for you to remove a denture from the mold with ease but have detail and still firm enough not to distort from pressure.

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Tom I have tried Zermack 85 but it sort of bonds to my acrylic when processing. But it is the one with the catalyst in the tube. Maybe that's the issue?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Bredent has some quality putty (two component) and sealer for acrylics, although is bit pricey...

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
3M Espe " Imprint Bite". works very well.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
never had any problems with siltech or zetalabor

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for the best insulating putty or pvs for processing. Any suggestion. Trying to capture the most mynute details. Thanks

I use zhermack zetalabor. shore hardness is a factor I use 95 for processing and 85 for relines repairs because as Tom said the denture is easier to remove with 85. I choose 95 for processing because I don't really need to worry about removing the denture jsut the denture teeth and thats not a problem. I like the extra hardness for pressure reasons although I'm sure 85 would work, I feal better using 95.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Did you use two putties or putty with catalyst?
I am using the putty with catalyst. I use a thin coating just to ease the deflasking and cover the acrylic base up to the occlusal and incisal surfaces. Then stipple the siltech. Then I finish investment with Whipmix's rapidflask. But I find that when I do use the silicon barrier I have to really wash the teeth off well with wax solvent and make sure there is undercut engaged on all of the teeth....If I don't the teeth can pop out of the mould. I also use it as a barrier for complete reline both soft and acrylic.....Take care and keep well....D

Last edited:
denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Did you use two putties or putty with catalyst?
I use the two putty Zhermack Elite HD Plus but only intraorally for an initial putty bite using a full bite tray...Not that accurate but really saves time when making the vertical registaration rims.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for the best insulating putty or pvs for processing. Any suggestion. Trying to capture the most minute details. Thanks
Have you tried Densulate from Dentsply yet? I have not but the video looks like it might suit you better because it is a silicone like a paste mix two together. Goes on really gooey. Long time ago there was a material called Silastec we used along with a powder to grip the investment stone.

N

noenegdod

Reaction score
3M Espe " Imprint Bite". works very well.

X2 for using bite reg. I use Zhermack Occlufast. What I put in is exactly what I get out, except where the leading edge of the material meets the semi cured trailing edge, I almost always end up with a small imperfection there.

N

noenegdod

Reaction score
I like flexi stone also. Used it before I tried bite reg. Id load it into empty A silicone cartridge and gun it on like I now do with bite reg.

Cant remember what reproduction was like with flexi stone but bite reg will capture any and all detail there is to be had.

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Thanks to all. Will try it out.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Gene-I always use the two part (addition style) rather than the putty catalyst (condensation type). May be your issue.
Just finished a rebase using the closed flask technique and the GC lab putty..no sticking observed.
Here is the GC stuff used in the conventional isolation fashion for processing on a preprocessed baseplate.

1047984_477216892360998_571357252_o.jpg

Last edited:
appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Ordered it yesterday as will try out today Tom. I also ordered some other stuff just to see what will work. Thanks once again

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Sounds like you have ordered some different materials. The Bite Imprint 3M I use, is two part using a dental injection
gun. Nice features of this type of material is the shore hardness, no mess, does not have to be applied thick, and only use what you inject. Maybe a bit more expensive, but I look at things of value. Not cheap or inexpensive. IMG_2598 copy.jpg

N

noenegdod

Reaction score
Sounds like you have ordered some different materials. The Bite Imprint 3M I use, is two part using a dental injection
gun. Nice features of this type of material is the shore hardness, no mess, does not have to be applied thick, and only use what you inject. Maybe a bit more expensive, but I look at things of value. Not cheap or inexpensive. View attachment 14724

I agree 100%. I have never found anything that works better, is more reliable or consistent, or hangs on to teeth better than bite reg. I have never used the 3m stuff but the occlufast I use is fantastic. A tube costs ~$22 and I get ~10 complete dentures out of a tube. The mixing tips are a $1 each so you try to do as many at a time as you can.

I dont do the entire facial surface of the denture though, I cover all of the wax that is near the teeth (facial, lingual and proximal). I leave the incisal/occlusal surfaces as exposed as possible but the 4s and 5s often end up mostly covered. If that happens I just rub the material off of the cusp tips so there is stone contact and no chance of silicone compression ( I dont really think this would happen to any consequential degree but WTF ) You dont have to deal with separator near the teeth and there is never stone or any imperfections near the teeth.

droberts;

Have you ever considered grinding in your sprues? The Ivoclar gods frown on it but it is so quick and easy and you dont have to deal with that crappy blue wax. I use a #8 rose head burr (spin it fast or it plugs in the wet stone). Boil out, quick rinse to get the worst of the wax off, grind the sprue in 10 seconds and finish cleaning the rest of the wax and debris as usual. Having to go back to wax sprues was almost a deal breaker when I bought Ivobase (they need to be much larger and you need smaller sprues at the anterior of the case up to the vent filter). Ground them in once and the extra grinding and having to change the bur to do the front wasnt worth it.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I have never found anything that works better, is more reliable or consistent, or hangs on to teeth better than bite reg. I have never used the 3m stuff but the occlufast I use is fantastic. A tube costs ~$22 and I get ~10 complete dentures out of a tube. The mixing tips are a $1 each so you try to do as many at a time as you can.

I dont do the entire facial surface of the denture though, I cover all of the wax that is near the teeth (facial, lingual and proximal). I leave the incisal/occlusal surfaces as exposed as possible but the 4s and 5s often end up mostly covered. If that happens I just rub the material off of the cusp tips so there is stone contact and no chance of silicone compression ( I dont really think this would happen to any consequential degree but WTF ) You dont have to deal with separator near the teeth and there is never stone or any imperfections near the teeth.

droberts;

Have you ever considered grinding in your sprues? The Ivoclar gods frown on it but it is so quick and easy and you dont have to deal with that crappy blue wax. I use a #8 rose head burr (spin it fast or it plugs in the wet stone). Boil out, quick rinse to get the worst of the wax off, grind the sprue in 10 seconds and finish cleaning the rest of the wax and debris as usual. Having to go back to wax sprues was almost a deal breaker when I bought Ivobase (they need to be much larger and you need smaller sprues at the anterior of the case up to the vent filter). Ground them in once and the extra grinding and having to change the bur to do the front wasnt worth it.

You may want to cover the entire surface of the wax up both labial and buccal. Acrylic will not bond
to the Imprint. This will preserve any tissue tinting or so called characterization to the denture. Leaves a
clean surface ready to polish.

Have not considered "grinding in sprues". Would much rather use wax and have a consistent smooth
flowing surface for the acrylic.

Top Bottom