In Search of Good Dentist in Cary, NC (Raleigh/Durham)

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
good preps, good hands, good impressions, thorough and knowledgable

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Good luck! We all need those,,,,,,LOL. I'm sure there are some excelent clinicians in your area. Question; are you asking too much?:rolleyes:

T

TLA

Reaction score
Sounds like a plea out of frustration, Karabear! I'd trade with you, but then again you probably have more than the 2 full mouth reconstructions I'm dealing with [C&B / precision RPD's] that the doctors don't know how to relate the finished bridge on a NEW master model for construction of the precision attachments! And, even after consulting and showing them, they still cannot manage their patients well enough to give us what we need in order to accomplish our tasks, so they've been told that if we are asked to do a remake, they're on the hook for it! BTW, in your area there are a lot of good Drs. What is Absolute doing with them these days?

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Well, I just moved here so I don't know of any. I had an appt. with a recommended dentist from someone at a removable lab. I got up enough courage to ask them if they wouldn't mind if I did my own lab work. Then I inquired which lab they presently used. They responded that they use a very large lab in CA, (which I prefer not to name). I cancelled my appt.
SO, I would say I want a doctor with just good hands and an assistant who can take a good impression. There was a time when I thought that was all I needed. But when I had a lot of composite work done by such a dentist, a leak in one of those led to expensive and painful perio surgery. Another dentist, (I move quite a bit),whose work I was not familiar with, noticed the decay and after the composite was repaired, there was never any more perio issues.
Just as a technician must have more than good hands and an artistic eye, a dentist must... Maybe add onto my job description "good eyes", to see decay on an xray.
Uh Oh, I think my requirements are getting longer rather than shorter...hmmmm
Still searching in NC

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about your experience. Hope you find someone soon. Mean time keep your chin up,and attitude; they're not all bad you just have to find the right ones.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Kara,

Tarum is the BEST... his office is in the Raleigh area..........
PM AL to get his tel #..... Al does some of his work.

Charles

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"They responded that they use a very large lab in CA, (which I prefer not to name). I cancelled my appt."

Are you saying that the patient has no choice in which lab is used?

Here in Canada,the patient has the choice.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I took it as she was saying that the Dentist prefers quantity versus quality and if he chose a stockyard as a dental lab, it's probably safe to assume he treats his patients like cattle as well.

Seriously Kara, if I was in Raleigh, Tarun would be my first stop if I was looking for a Dentist.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
"They responded that they use a very large lab in CA, (which I prefer not to name). I cancelled my appt."

Are you saying that the patient has no choice in which lab is used?

Here in Canada,the patient has the choice.

I don't know if they have a choice or not from a legal standpoint, but I do know when I have requested a specific lab, they either object because they are not familiar with that lab's work or they are out and out offended that I would presume so much. I don't suppose they have patients who know enough or care enough about that to suggest a specific lab. Nice to know Canada is amenable to a patient's choice.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I took it as she was saying that the Dentist prefers quantity versus quality and if he chose a stockyard as a dental lab, it's probably safe to assume he treats his patients like cattle as well.

Seriously Kara, if I was in Raleigh, Tarun would be my first stop if I was looking for a Dentist.

A "stockyard", I like that. I just want to know they care, and knowing the reputation of this lab, obviously this dentist either doesn't or is ignorant of the fact that, for the most part, you get what you pay for, at least in my opinion. In either case, I didn't want to obtain the services of this doctor. (I don't buy EVERYthing at Wal-mart.)
Concerning Tarun, I had read an article on him, but I was wary of the fact that an article does not a quality doctor make. BUT, I will trust the wisdom of my fellow technicians and thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
Kara, if I needed a crown today, I would drive the 90 minutes or less to Dr. Agarwal office, and actually not do the lab work myself, with the talented techs that make his crowns, including Al..............I've seen some of his work face to face and seen many pictures on DT of his work. You want find anyone better, period.
I also have a friend that owns a lab in that area that I can get an referral from the Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill area.

Charles

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Even in Canada, most patients have no clue about which lab does their work. Sorry,I misunderstood your point but I agree with your reasoning.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Kara, if I needed a crown today, I would drive the 90 minutes or less to Dr. Agarwal office, and actually not do the lab work myself, with the talented techs that make his crowns, including Al..............I've seen some of his work face to face and seen many pictures on DT of his work. You want find anyone better, period.
I also have a friend that owns a lab in that area that I can get an referral from the Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill area.

Charles

That would be great Charles, I just worry that the lab person would be offended if I use their doctor but I don't use them. I am a total control freak when it comes to margins. Frankly, if it is in the back of my mouth, I don't care about all the fancy esthetics. I don't even want that deep secondary anatomy that some technicians show off with. It feels wierd in the mouth anyway. I just don't want leakage, and the only way I can be sure of the marginal integrity is to do it myself. I made an appt. with Dr. A today. The doctor that was using the CA lab had a two month wait to see me. Dr. A's first available was on the 5th. At least I am just going for a prophy. I have time to be neurotic when or if I have to have a crown. In the meantime, I need to chill :cool:

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
In my non-dentist opinion, the composite I got there was terrible. There was no effort to make sure there was a good interproximal seal. The matrixes were put in and composite smashed in to form a MOD. There was composite lapping over the buccal with no margin. He never ran floss thru it. He only ground on the occlusal table and he only polished the lingual after I complained of roughness. The interproximals have huge undercuts under the contact area that catches food with every meal and is a real bother. I gave this full opinion when I was sent a online link and was offered the opportunity to come back in, which I declined. I have reason to believe that the dentist was never told about these comments and when they called me after the appointment, they were not even aware of my comments. I stand by my original assertion that an article in a dental magazine does not a good dentist make. I should have known better. Some of the worst dentists that we did work for, when I was a technician, were the ones with big advertisements and on all kinds of boards and organizations. Those who can, do and those that can't, teach.

Last edited:
wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Kara,

I once asked my dentist, how he would recommend to the patient how to find a new dentist in a new area. His response was, call up a number of Endodontists and Periodontics in the area, and ask for a list of five dentists that they would recommend in the area, and if there are names that are repeated, start there.

At the new patient exam, ask to view examples of his work, including impressions. You knew what you're looking for, and if his ego doesn't get in the way he should be more than happy to oblige. I can tell you, that my dentist would be " tickled pink" to show off his work (Which I do for him).

And if I remember correctly, under ADA by laws, as a new patient, you need to see the dentist for an exam before you see a hygienist for a cleaning. If he does a proper new patient exam items, and this should about 45 minutes to 1 hour : Perio pocket charging, blood pressure, soft tissue exam for oral cancer, medical history overview etc. etc. then you know at least you are starting off on the right foot.

Be up front with him, regarding your concerns of wanting quality restorative dentistry, and that in the past you've been had lousy dentistry.

Good luck finding another new dentist!

Carol

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Dr. Agarwal's response to his credit

Kara,

i am familiar with your comments on the feedback form. i am very glad you took the time and opportunity to give the feedback regarding your visit.

honestly, i am quite embarrassed that your visit wasn't to your expectations and to the expectations i set for myself. i remember your visit very well and do admit that it wasn't a shining moment for me. i had just returned from a two week speaking and training schedule traveling across the country. regardless of what excuse i can give isn't relevant. the fact is that i should always treat patients as i would want to be treated and provide clinical excellence.

I am more than happy to redo the restoration, make adjustments to the restoration, or whatever you would like done. we'll do everything possible to make this right.

sincerely,

tarun agarwal, dds

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have nothing in this conversation either way but if I was in your shoes Kara, I would take him up on his offer. Please don't think I'm defending anyone here, but we are all human and have our moments. If anything, you put things into perspective for him Kara, I'd be ecstatic for someone to be able to express that to me. Yeah, it's a crying shame that it has to come from a colleague (lab tech/yourself) but sometimes we need a reminder of what is important in our professional lives----our patients.

He sounded fair Kara, I'd let him address your concerns and be happy you have a Dentist that is willing to step up to the plate and admit his faults and eager to fix them..........I know many that would of told you to go fly a kite. I know that probably isn't much help but please let us know how it goes, and I'm very interested in what you decide to do.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Update- I went to another dentist who said that the composite appeared to be sealed but was rough and had some overhang. I had him repair it and Dr. Agarwal was gracious enough to reimburse me for that expense.