Impression scanning with 3shape

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I am curious if many labs are scanning PVS impressions and what sort of results they have? I've heard that a few technicians have reported successful scans, but others did not seem particularly "impressed".
I have many impressions that I'd like to scan for design and model making but have ran into difficulties. Are the people who are getting good results doing anything out-of-the ordinary, or is this possibly a hit-or-miss procedure, or even a hardware issue?
We are using a 3shape D800 scanner and running version 2014. We are trying to decide if this is worth pursuing, so I am hoping that some of you will share your opinions about impression scanning?

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I've done a few with my D900. We scanned and designed units off of the impression. Milled wax units from the designs, and fit them to the analog models that we made after the fact. I was very impressed.

Most of the impressions I get have intermittent unclear areas. My concern is "fixing" those areas in the software as I do with a bur under the scope?;)

All in all it worked extremely well.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You still end up pouring a model to finish the case so it is rather pointless when you can scan the model with sectioned dies.

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
I've scanned impression for design of post and core and to mill them then.
Worked very nicely.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
You still end up pouring a model to finish the case so it is rather pointless when you can scan the model with sectioned dies.
I was hoping to use the impression scan to have complex models printed also. Apparently, from what I've experienced, you must use either a digital impression or a physical impression to make models in Model Builder. Model is greyed out in the order form if you enter a model for scanning. I do not know if that is entirely correct or if there is an additional module needed to produce printed models from solid stone casts and separate trimmed dies with stone stumps. Please advise if this is accurate.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You need to convert your scan to an stl file for it to be printed.

The source of your scan can come from an intra oral scan or from you scanning an impression or stone model.
Model Builder software allows you to design a model, from that scan , with or without removable dies and converts the design to an stl file.

You need to purchase the Model Builder module to design for printed models.

Ideally ,you want to receive a digital impression from the dr and then import that scan into your 3 Shape software through 3 Shape Communicate ( a web portal that transitions the files to you , you are in the dr's database) and then start designing the model and restoration.

That should be your end game .

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
You need to convert your scan to an stl file for it to be printed.

The source of your scan can come from an intra oral scan or from you scanning an impression or stone model.
Model Builder software allows you to design a model, from that scan , with or without removable dies and converts the design to an stl file.

You need to purchase the Model Builder module to design for printed models.

Ideally ,you want to receive a digital impression from the dr and then import that scan into your 3 Shape software through 3 Shape Communicate ( a web portal that transitions the files to you , you are in the dr's database) and then start designing the model and restoration.

That should be your end game .
Are you referring to Model Builder for AllScans Module?
Right now I have Model Builder (Impression scan) and Model Builder (Trios scan) inaddition to ScanIt Impression which is enabled for STL

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Impression scanning only works when you get a good impression. the pvs has to be the right kind of colour, you can't scan impragum at all, nor algenate, and in the case of doing post-core, needs to have lttle to NO prep wall involved. some dentists leave you a bit of tooth, and those just do not scan.

trim the impression first, as undercuts or teeth that are splayed out might not scan right.

it is always best to scan a model if you deal with that kind of dentist or patient.

tl;dr it works on simple cases, not difficult cases.

Top Bottom