Intraoral scanner crown margins

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What about phantom margin syndrome? Or Schrodinger's margin? If you never feel the margin with the explorer, is it open, closed, or both at the same time? Does measuring it change the outcome?

That's to deep for me, Obi Wan :)

8jHeTIWE_400x400.jpg

Or, how about this one I've posted before :)

calvin.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
120 or more is for Drs that mill their own crowns.

That number may be true in this regard, wasn't the gap on the original chairside Cerec was about 100 micron, so maybe the ADA came up with that number to clear, give them a clean conscience for the Dr's using that system? Or, has that number been out there for awhile?

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Wouldn't doubt it. Got to pay for that lease you know.;)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
That number may be true in this regard, wasn't the gap on the original chairside Cerec was about 100 micron, so maybe the ADA came up with that number to clear, give them a clean conscience for the Dr's using that system?
120 microns is huge...an average dental explorer is only 80 microns. My Docs would line me up to be a recipient of a firing squad if I sent them a crown with those parameters.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
80 micron, thanks for the more up to date number.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I always thought the maximum was 100. Or at least that was the excuse for 3D printing models for faster production.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
it's about the end result, in the mouth. not how we will do on the model.

it's not about the scanner or milling itself

a curiosity in the research I read, the crown before cementing has a margin gap 39 μm and after cementing 59 such a trick with cement.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Any advice for the margins?
Some of it is visible but then it just fades away.
Screenshot (185).png Screenshot (184).png Screenshot (187).png Screenshot (186).png

Smilemaker1234

Smilemaker1234

Reaction score
Scanning is all about isolation and retraction. If you can see the margin and the margin is the issue here, take two seconds and mark it. Makes no sense to me why Docs don't, you literally just prepped it. However, if they are printing and making a restoration from that printed die/model, that's a big no-no. Always make your restorations from the scan data.
I agree . Printed models are not as accurate. Always make restorations from scan data.