Implant parts markup

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
I have been charging 20% markup for all implant parts ordered by me.

Is this considered normal?

Do all labs charge about the same?

Peter

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Whatever you can get away with!

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
20% plus whatever shipping

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
40% over catalog price. If I can get a volume discount, I do not pass that on. If I can use aftermarket parts, I charge the same. 40%+

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
30% + shipping
It takes time and knowledge to order the right parts is how I constitute the 30%.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The mark up debate on parts has and will be a hot topic. Guys that do a bunch of implant work understand what it cost to purchase parts. If they want to include the "Correct" parts than I do not mark up for using their parts. The problem is the liability factor on parts that need to be cast, who pays for them when there is a miscast.

When they ask me why the parts cost so much I tell them two things

My money is tied up in inventory or for a set period of time "terms"

My liability to cover mistakes in lab,

They still don't like it but its part of doing business

In the past I have just wanted to mark up labor higher than my competition and not worry about marking up parts. That no longer works effectively with the amount of inventory I carry now.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
"40% over catalog price. If I can get a volume discount, I do not pass that on."

Same here. Discount parts are marked up the same way based on the list price. John gives all the right reasons. Your expertise, time and resources to order parts are not free. Some are notoriously bad at picking parts and end up with a "Implant Graveyard":D
How many times has the Dr. called and claims there is no screw in the case? If you have to remake the case regardless of who's fault it is you will in all likelihood eat the cost of the new parts because that is how our business works.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
30% markup plus the shipping.

I

inspirashin

Reaction score
I have been charging 20% markup for all implant parts ordered by me.

Is this considered normal?

Do all labs charge about the same?

Peter
I charge a 40% markup on "name brand parts" + shipping, 55% markup on generic brands.

I get alot of DDS that would rather have me order than go through the headache themselves. The ones that don't, well they certainly are free to order themselves.

and LabGuy said it best, you're getting paid to because (A) you're taking the time to do it (B) getting paid because you KNOW what youre ordering.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I'm in the UK, most labs over here order the components but charge to the Doctors account at the Implant company, saves having our money tied up in stock

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, most labs over here order the components but charge to the Doctors account at the Implant company, saves having our money tied up in stock

but then you dont make any profit on the parts or for your knowledge or time
you must always get paid for your time

S

smile4me

Reaction score
Most of the implant cases come in with the abutments already it is a normal for us and when the abutment does not come in with the case we order the parts for the doctor and have it billed directly to them and shipped to us, it is really hard for me to up charge the doctor when they know how much the parts are already so we just provide this service for them, depending on the case how difficult etc we may charge an implant prep fee in addition to our normal implant crown however we are doing more custom abutments now and sell the crown and custom abutment as a package.

O

omarbhan

Reaction score
Most of the implant cases come in with the abutments already it is a normal for us and when the abutment does not come in with the case we order the parts for the doctor and have it billed directly to them and shipped to us, it is really hard for me to up charge the doctor when they know how much the parts are already so we just provide this service for them, depending on the case how difficult etc we may charge an implant prep fee in addition to our normal implant crown however we are doing more custom abutments now and sell the crown and custom abutment as a package.

It is similar what we do her in Iceland. We have fix prices on a order of abutments. Plus we charge if we have to adjust the abutment. Having 40% mark up and do not pass the volume discount I find to much. One would think if they where the retailer. Maybe it dose not matter for the dentist as he charges fix price for the implant work.
Regards
Omar

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We charge 30% markup on all parts I order. The reasons John and Rob gave are the ones I use if I ever get questions about it.

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
I know this was an old post but the question I have is : What should I charge a Dr. when he sends me a case in and tell me to figure out what I need and let him order it ????