I stand corrected...

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I used to say anyone can sell a denture. All you had to do is make them pretty and shiny. Well the bar has been lowered. All you need now is shiny.

A doc showed me the work he was getting from a New York lab.

I just shook my head. I thought I'd visit the lab's website to see what crafty tricks they might be using to lure the docs in with. I was shocked.

I will give them this: With the exception of the use of the word 'quality', they get my truth in advertising award.

Take a tour of their gallery. Vote for your favorite pic.

Streamline Dental Lab

I'm torn between their acrylic partials and their Valplast... but I think it's the model work that is throwing me off... so, I'm going with the un-occluding denture shot... as it appears to be the shiniest.

4007463_Z3.jpg
4007463_Z3.jpg

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
It may be the camera angle, but it looks like there's a bleb on the intaglio of the left buccal flange

IVY

IVY

Reaction score
Is this patient 4902? no... is it 95992...no?...Oh, lets just go with 6282. This one wins for me, nothing like picking the right size teeth for the job!?!
Wow...looks like the 4th quadrant flange made an illegal left turn and is now harmonizing with the base model, missed the retromolar pad all together, should fit nice against the tongue.
winner.jpg

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I used to say anyone can sell a denture. All you had to do is make them pretty and shiny. Well the bar has been lowered. All you need now is shiny.

A doc showed me the work he was getting from a New York lab.

I just shook my head. I thought I'd visit the lab's website to see what crafty tricks they might be using to lure the docs in with. I was shocked.

I will give them this: With the exception of the use of the word 'quality', they get my truth in advertising award.

Take a tour of their gallery. Vote for your favorite pic.

Streamline Dental Lab

I'm torn between their acrylic partials and their Valplast... but I think it's the model work that is throwing me off... so, I'm going with the un-occluding denture shot... as it appears to be the shiniest.

View attachment 1244

There are some docs who don't want the bells and whistles. I'm more concerned about tooth placement and overall structure. I don't see anything that terrible, probably newer lab and low end dentures. The part that bothers me is seeing the lab name included.....not cool......

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
It may be the camera angle, but it looks like there's a bleb on the intaglio of the left buccal flange

That could be a water droplet so we'll give them a bye on that. That happens to me a lot.

Same goes for the open bite set that I picked. It could be it just dropped during the photo set up and the guy in charge of pic selection for the website didn't know any better which might explain the full denture shots scattered in other areas, also.

I seem to get a lot of shots with the midlines not dead on because I'm balancing the set on its heels with a small bit of playdough (so it doesn't show) and by the time I pull back and take the shot they've 'settled'.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
There are some docs who don't want the bells and whistles. I'm more concerned about tooth placement and overall structure.

That is why I posted their site. I could accept the work if it were just ugly and even dull but the technical things I see wrong with the work is what floors me.

I don't see anything that terrible, probably newer lab and low end dentures.

Now that bothers me ? ! ? ! ...And newer labs get a pass??? Well, if denture mills can get a pass everytime they hire a new 'associate' fresh out of school then I guess labs are entitled to the same 'learning curve'... assuming they ever learn.

The part that bothers me is seeing the lab name included.....not cool......

Okay, Michele just for you:

The lab that Michele prefer go nameless

Hey, I feel cooler already.

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
There are some docs who don't want the bells and whistles. I'm more concerned about tooth placement and overall structure. QUOTE]

That is why I posted their site. I could accept the work if it were just ugly and even dull but the technical things I see wrong with the work is what floors me.

Now that bothers me ? ! ? ! ...And newer labs get a pass??? Well, if denture mills can get a pass everytime they hire a new 'associate' fresh out of school then I guess labs are entitled to the same 'learning curve'... assuming they ever learn.

Okay, Michele just for you:

The lab that Michele prefer go nameless

Hey, I feel cooler already.

Glad you feel better, just thought maybe you were getting all competitive on that poor lab. I'm sure that doesn't happen in our line of work..... I wish I could be privy to all the behind the scenes private emails discussing this and that person or lab, it would much more interesting than the forums:)

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Glad you feel better, just thought maybe you were getting all competitive on that poor lab. I'm sure that doesn't happen in our line of work..... I wish I could be privy to all the behind the scenes private emails discussing this and that person or lab, it would much more interesting than the forums:)

I don't feel better; just cooler. Never felt bad.

I don't get competitive, if by competitive you mean knocking someone else's work so I'll feel better about mine. That you couldn't find 'anything terribly wrong with the work presented saddens me.

I find guys who do work better than me inspirational and I have never been afraid to assist anyone (even the local guys) who seeks my help.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I don't feel better; just cooler. Never felt bad.

I don't get competitive, if by competitive you mean knocking someone else's work so I'll feel better about mine. That you couldn't find 'anything terribly wrong with the work presented saddens me.

I find guys who do work better than me inspirational and I have never been afraid to assist anyone (even the local guys) who seeks my help.

Since we're talking about feelings here, I guess i just feel bad for the poor lab owner that comes on here and finds everyone looking at their website and dissing their work in front of the whole world. We all have been at that level of work in our careers even myself. I had my "ah-ha" moment about the time I took my CDT tests. If someone would have taken my work at the time and posted it here with my name and phone # I probably would have been mortified and probably quit (not really that's not my character but you get the idea.....). Everybody goes through stages in their level of quality. I tend to put the responsibility on the dentist who should have enough training and common sense to know what they are looking at and make an informed decision as to whether they take the work or not.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Maybe if they see thier work on here being knocked they will realize they need to step it up a notch. If my trainee brought me that work I would sit them down and show them how to improve. I agree with Tim, this lab owner needs a wake up.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
The old joke about construction probably works for labs too. We offer the options of good, fast and cheap pick two out of the three. I would certainly like to be busier, but if I lower my prices to far I have to go with fast and cheap. As I have been trying to gain clients it has never ceased to amaze me the variety in quality of preps and impressions. When you call someone and ask about bad impressions at times there is a willingness to improve and others just want the case turned around without any "hassles". I do the best work I can, but some Dentist don't see the point in paying more for better quality because the foundation it is built on only allows certain results. I guess for Dentists you can pick two out of three as well. I look at my work, and always try and see something that can be improved. I am a fixed lab, but I think that most people in all types of labs do the same. There are pictures on my website that people would probably see room for improvements as well, but that's how I get better. Communication with all you great techs here on DLN as well as with my Dentists keeps me on my toes, and learning. Without the challenges I suppose I would not enjoy this line of work. Hopefully this technician is trying to improve the work they are doing as well.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Since we're talking about feelings here, I guess i just feel bad for the poor lab owner that comes on here and finds everyone looking at their website and dissing their work in front of the whole world. We all have been at that level of work in our careers even myself..

No ****. First time I posted an implant bar, which was only a sample case, on dental frown, some jerkoff ate my lunch. Lesson? Don't put out anything on a forum or as advertising you can't take some body shots over.
It's not like someone hacked into a private stash, now is it?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I suppose only one way to settle this and that is to invite the lab owner to discuss this on the thread. It won't be myself who does this but I guess I was raised in a world where you discuss things to someones face, or
e-face :).
Everyone have a great summer !

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Shouldn't we be discussing this in our secret emails and PMs? :)

Last edited:
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Valplast clasps that pretty much cover 2/3's of the tooth...nothing more attractive than pink teeth.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
One does so because it's not seated fully on the model... or is it? You can see the lingual plate poking it's head out over the the anterior teeth. Some of this is not so much about poor workmanship but poor photo and photo selection. Okay, it is about poor workmanship. I tried,, Michele, to give them a break... just couldn't seem to do it.

Top Bottom