How work with Meshmixer

C

Chrischung

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. I'm trying to learn morphology and occlusion, so I thought using cadcam software would help. Are there any stl files I can build off of? Is Meshmixer a good free option?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Blender dental has free software that you can use

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Wow! Is any of the free software usable in a typical lab environment?

Zero zero has a post somewhere here that showed some basic tips in using meshmixer I believe. Go to his homepage and see if you can find it in his posts. It was within the last couple of months?

I'm not on my PC at work, so I'm not able to do it easily on my phone.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Wow! Is any of the free software usable in a typical lab environment?
blender "for dental" is still mostly in development, however it is useable for model production if your scans are in open format to begin with. native 3shape dcm files arent supported by anyone but 3shape. theres hoops to jump through, all i'm saying.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
exocad can open dcm. Someone upload some dcm jaw scans here please. I want to try making models in exocad from them.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Zero zero has a post somewhere here that showed some basic tips in using meshmixer I believe. Go to his homepage and see if you can find it in his posts. It was within the last couple of months?

I'm not on my PC at work, so I'm not able to do it easily on my phone.

Here is the post I was talking about. It's his post with the "download it from here" link. Even though it is with Meshlab, may help in some way?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
exocad can open dcm. Someone upload some dcm jaw scans here please. I want to try making models in exocad from them.
yes, you know i didn't mean completely locked out, i just meant theres extra steps to make the blender thing happen if you are starting in closed systems like 3shape or, you know cerec or something.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
So I scanned an old fishing spoon to copy it in wax or plastic to cast or print etc. When I import into EXO it has no margins etc. Anyone know how to create a file I can print or mill and the steps involved. I saved the scan as a .stl and went into free form to smooth up etc, but from there I cannot get it positioned in the puck to mill? Thanks In Advance!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
yes, you know i didn't mean completely locked out, i just meant theres extra steps to make the blender thing happen if you are starting in closed systems like 3shape or, you know cerec or something.
I just want to give it a try from 3Shape dcm's.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Are carestream .dcm files the same? I've tried opening them with exocad with noo luck.

Carestram may be closed type, but upload one here and let's try it.
What version of exocad are you using? If it is older it may need to be configured to open DCM.

O

omsk

Reaction score
I'm using the latest version of exocad. Build 6990.

Here is a file received through Carestream.

Attachments

• c27b017b-d0cc-4f7b-ada8-49d05417cb1b.dcm
    11.5 MB · Views: 12
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I took a look, it's not encrypted, data is just stored in a different way 3sheep does in their DCM's... it even contains all the info if someone want's to support it in their apps
Untitled.png

O

omsk

Reaction score
I took a look, it's not encrypted, data is just stored in a different way 3sheep does in their DCM's... it even contains all the info if someone want's to support it in their apps
View attachment 33284

Uh so exocad needs to get on it to support the files and add the Import from Carestream button.

The file can be opened with CS Mesh Viewer and then exported to stl or ply and it asks which coordinates to export with it so maybe thats why the data is there Dontknow