How to wax a CLEARsplint? First case

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
I ordered Astron CLEARsplint to start offering it. I mentioned it to a doc that it will be coming soon and he lit the fire under me to get moving on it by sending me a case haha. I'm not questioning how to process it yet, but questioning how to properly prep the model and wax it up. Previously we've done vacuum forming occlusal splints.

Any help would be appreciated!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Block out how you normally would, paint separator, I use super soft bees wax mold how I want, invest boil, out process. has been working fine. I also dupe blocked out model and not take it much past height of contour.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Occlusion aside, we wax past the cej, finish with coverage of buccals all posteriors scalloped ~1mm above the cej and ~2mm just over the incisal anterior.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
I would be curious to get opinions of the night guard that was made on the yellow model (injected acrylic) and if it should more closely match the one made on the white model (hard/soft)?

Attachments

• 20160226_103646_resized.jpg
    20160226_103646_resized.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 176
  • 20160226_103704_resized.jpg
    20160226_103704_resized.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 163
evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
One more photo

Attachments

• 20160226_103728_resized.jpg
    20160226_103728_resized.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 166
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I don't think the yellow should necessarily mimic the white since they at not the same model (same mouth)or same material. I would say it does look thick to me, thick as in opening the bite more then we do. I generally open the bite 1.5-2mm at the first molars then wax our bite guards. I cover a little more of the buccal of teeth with rigid materials, with softer materials I cover the same as white model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
Quick question! May seem silly but I am about to mix the powder/liquid and the directions from Astron says to use the provided red scoop for powder and clear scoop for liquid. It also says it is a 2:1 ratio. However, the red scoop isn't twice as large as the clear scoop. They officially confused me.

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
I went with 2 parts powder to 1 part liquid. Lets hope I'm right!

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
I went with 2 parts powder to 1 part liquid. Lets hope I'm right!

Did you pour or packed ? How did it come out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
The occlusal will depend on what the Dr. wants. ie: ramp for disclusion.

I don't have any wax up pics but this is how it looks finished.
P1040192.JPG P1040194.JPG

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The occlusal will depend on what the Dr. wants. ie: ramp for disclusion.

I don't have any wax up pics but this is how it looks finished.
View attachment 20940 View attachment 20941
Yep. Nice and scalloped on the posteriors. It's hard to tell you extension, but try to stay ~1mm away from the gingiva.
Nice clear process.
Good stuff!
You can wax the occlusion any way dr wants.
You nailed the rest.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Has anyone got pics of ClearSplint after a few months in the mouth?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
No pictures, but I have worked with a few splints I have made for adjustments no yellowing yet 4-6mo or so.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I have been working with CLEARSplint over 15 years, they can get plaque coated but are repairable up to 7+ years and still clear, no yellow a little foggy. Follow F.Spear for occlusal design. Cuspid (anterior) rise posterior dot in centric and disclosing in movements.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg Found this repair on 5 year old brux.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Quick question! May seem silly but I am about to mix the powder/liquid and the directions from Astron says to use the provided red scoop for powder and clear scoop for liquid. It also says it is a 2:1 ratio. However, the red scoop isn't twice as large as the clear scoop. They officially confused me.
If you are pouring use refrigerated material at 8ml liquid to 15ml powder for average brux if packing in flask use 6ml liquid to 15 ml powder.
Pour as soon as mixed let flask bench 3-4 minutes cure 130f 25psi 30 minutes.
Pack after 1-2 min no trial, clamp put in water bath 135f 30 min. Let cool 10 min then open should be glass clear.
For slightly harder brux ask Doug or Bob for tech liquid same ratios.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
If you are pouring use refrigerated material at 8ml liquid to 15ml powder for average brux if packing in flask use 6ml liquid to 15 ml powder.
Pour as soon as mixed let flask bench 3-4 minutes cure 130f 25psi 30 minutes.
Pack after 1-2 min no trial, clamp put in water bath 135f 30 min. Let cool 10 min then open should be glass clear.
For slightly harder brux ask Doug or Bob for tech liquid same ratios.
I injected it in the ivobase unit turned out pretty good, but probably overkill. It did take some creative thinking and pausing of programs to place capsule after swelling ect but it did awesome.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I've been wearing mine for 18 months, it's gotten a subtle haziness but hasn't discolored, except where I put a self-cured acrylic wear layer from #6-11, I'm a very heavy bruxer. I really abuse it too, I've soaked it in mouthwash and it didn't stain, but I don't recommend that. Chairside they pretty much drop in, rarely do we have to adjust them.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I normally pack. Pouring is faster, but I feel you can get a better density/clarity I make a little overflow reservoir easy to cut off and I don't feel like I am squeezing to much out. When I pour normally in quick situations I use a drufomat pressure pot(90psi).

Top Bottom