Exocad Wax-up copy, how to change a tooth?

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
I have been presented with a wax-up to copy for a hybrid case, but I have been requested to turn two bicuspids into molars. The only way I know how to do this is to manually morph/sculpt the bicuspids into molars. This seems like it would be tedious and difficult. If possible, I would like to modify the wax-up by copying the existing molar design and simply extending the bridge distally. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
expert mode
tooth placement step i believe
change model tooth.. change tooth number.

something along those lines.. someone may chime in if that doesn't work.. there is a way tho

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
For an anatomic wax up I don't see any "tooth placement" step.

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
Its probably easier to go to expert, edit mesh, cut the bicuspids off the waxup, let the waxup adapt to the margins, and load in stl files of the molars as custom attachments

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
What I have done is remove the bicuspids off the physical wax up before it gets scanned, I will simply paint and pull the molars forward and sculpt/morph as needed.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I have been presented with a wax-up to copy for a hybrid case, but I have been requested to turn two bicuspids into molars. The only way I know how to do this is to manually morph/sculpt the bicuspids into molars. This seems like it would be tedious and difficult. If possible, I would like to modify the wax-up by copying the existing molar design and simply extending the bridge distally. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks.

im a little confused at what you are attempting, but when designing a crown that you want to change;
go to expert
right click the tooth, select Load Custom Tooth Model
choose the tooth number you want to change it to
click OK.

Davalier

Davalier

Reaction score
Start your project without loading your wax-up scan, you can add the wax-up scan or copy, as a generic mesh to only see the position, occlusion, etc, and design a waxup crown as normal. If you need help you can send me a dm and I can help you.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
It's fine, I think I have a solution. For more background for those that might be lost... This is a hybrid denture conversion to a bridge-over-bar case. There is a very good wax-up to copy, except the doctor wants to lose one bicuspid on either side. So, what I have done is knock off the extra bicuspids from the wax-up, and I will simply move the molars into proper position when free-forming my design. This is an anatomic wax-up, and I certainly need to copy this wax-up - minus the second bicuspids. I'll let you all know how it went later today, but I don't see any reasons my solution won't work.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
im a little confused at what you are attempting, but when designing a crown that you want to change;
go to expert
right click the tooth, select Load Custom Tooth Model
choose the tooth number you want to change it to
click OK.
This isn't a crown, it's a full arch hybrid denture copied from a wax-up, usually I just tweak the wax-ups, sometimes moving teeth around to get better midlines and function. This case the doctor wants to remove a bicuspid from each side before going to zirconia, which is a little more involved than I have had to do in the past. I am primarily self-taught in Exocad after years of 3Shape experience, so some things are still new to me. When I attempted to modify the wax-up digitally and remove the bicuspids and then move the molars it got messy real quick.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
My trick worked, after removing the extra bicuspids before scanning the wax up, I simply smoothed the interproximal areas and slowly morphed the molars into their new positions and improved anatomy and function. The end result looks great.

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
In the future, this is always an option, it only takes a minute to pop the waxup out of exocad, into meshmixer, and then back into exocad without losing its position

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
These show what I ended up doing. I popped the extra bi's off the model before scanning the wax-up, I then moved/morphed the molars forwards. This did not take that long to do, and I think it came out great.

Attachments

• Wax-Up.png
    Wax-Up.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Final.png
    Final.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 12
RDA

RDA

Reaction score
In Exocad, how do I merge this file to save the wax up to print as a model?
? Screenshot (44).png

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
You will see on the model builder step

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Select digital wax up model when choosing the model to create