How to design and mill "custom healing caps?"

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
I have an oral surgeon client that just got a Trios. He would like to send us immediate post surgical scans to produce custom healing caps. His idea is that we produce simultaneously a custom healing cap and final abutment. Not crazy about designing a final abutment until the tissue matures.

We would have to get a mill capable of doing titanium and probably mill blanks. Would this even be cost effective? We do quite a bit of implant work and would also like to be able to mill abutments, but I have not seen any system that even comes close to milling to OEM standards and screw quality.

Edit: I just saw that custom healing caps can be milled in PEEK. Can the DWX-50 mill this?

Suggestions or comments? Maybe one of the CAP crew has a good solution?

Thanks!

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
How much is a peek disc? If using peek what about Zr? To slow? What about pmma temp material? I've been wondering if doing them on on ti bases/interfaces is the only way to do it?
Questions questions

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
For OEM standards you'd need a swiss type lathe (with live tooling)...quite expensive and you'd need a different tool setup for each type of interface...plus a good operator to run it. Would only make sense if you plan to produce big batches...

We did a few custom healing caps out of PEEK on a DWX-50... started from a PEEK scan body (3d data),cut to length then added the required taper (in CAD of course)...used Rhino to do it though... Minimal expense, you'd only need to order a screw...and a 1mm dia. flat end tool to get the interface milled correctly.

As for doing the final abutment...it's definitely doable. I'd design a set of custom healing caps with increasing taper to act like tissue training healing caps, the final cap would have the same subgingival shape as the final abutment. Might need two models to import in CAD, the post-op and the one with the modified gum trimmed to the planned shape. I'd get the initial IO scan printed, adjust the tissue as needed...then scan the model to get the second gingival reference. Thinkin' out loud here...;)

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Tyler had a writeup for his process on making these and its pretty slick, couldnt tell you where thats at now.. but maybe he will pop by here..

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
I would definitely use a ti base because you are placing a part in a mouth for more than one hour (according to FDA guidelines) and several months. I have tried to come up with a business for these and still can't figure out an economic way.
One possible solution is to create a bulbous type solution like "contour healer" and cement it onto a ti base and then give it to your doctor.
You could also come out with some standard type dimensions and design them in your cad and then mill them as appropriate.
I had an old document on healing abutments for sterioss that had very common designs for more of a customized titanium healing abutment that I will try to find and send and this could be the baseline for the design of the healing abutment.
I was in discussion with a prosthodontist who came out with a way to create them based on ct scans which better mimiced the tissue contour.
If anyone wants to try to make product around this solution let me know and we can help one another since we make the bases.
This is a nice value added solution that would further differentiate you from others.